From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com]

Chris,

Roger – what an interesting job, if you like reading this kind of stuff that is

I knew about DNA being wound around a supporting matrix – e.g. the histones –
but I never knew that this non-DNA structural protein had any interactions with
the DNA Wrapped around it) that could control expressing sections of encoding
DNA. Of course this implies that the histone does more than just provide a
structural matrix for the DNA to become tightly packed in, and that was news to
me.

I have been following epigenetic stuff for a while, especially well documented
for the methylation pathway, but this appears to be yet a separate pathway for
genomic expression and hereditary transmission of information.

The story of heredity is getting more and more interesting. For example, check
out the link to the story below; life (and living systems) seem like they have
more levels of operation than previously believed.

Mothers can pass traits to offspring through bacteria's DNA, mouse study shows
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150216125425.htm>
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150216125425.htm

Cheers,

Chris

    Hi.  It's good that they have new studies confirming this stuff, but the
looping of DNA into 3D structures inside the nucleus  has been known for
awhile.   I think they're even starting to map these interactions just like the
human genome project.  One of the methods they use is to crosslink the DNA in
the nucleus so that the shape it's currently in is saved, and then sequence the
crosslinked areas to identify the crosslinked segments of DNA.  But, I admit
calling this a wormhole is kind of just good marketing.  I guess the everything
list is kind of like a wormhole that brings together distant people so they can
talk about "everything"! :-)

    Also, on the epigenetic inheritance thing via histones, it's also good that
new studies are proving this stuff, but epigenetic changes (changes in gene
expression caused by things other than changes to the DNA sequence) that can be
inherited have also been known for 10 years or so.  So far, what they know are
that these changes are caused by adding or removing methyl groups to the DNA
bases or methyl and acetyl groups to the histones.  That affects how the genes
are expressed.  These changes can be affected by the environment and your own
activities (like exercise).   So, your descendants may thank you for exercising
and eating right!

    The only reason I know some stuff about this is that I have kind of a weird
job where I read biochem. articles all day and put the new stuff into a
database.

    See you!

                Roger