On 14 April 2015 at 17:48, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com
<javascript:;>> wrote:

<javascript:;>>:

>> > No it is not, you even use a logical fallacy to justify this
position...
>> > using "miracles"... a miracle imply *anything* is possible (even
logical
>> > contradictory thing such as.... a *miracle*).
>>
>> No, a miracle cannot be logically contradictory. God cannot make a
>> married bachelor.
>

> Yes it can.. that's the whole point of what is a miracle and God. God is
not
> bound to logic, what you can't conceive is your prejudice... and using
> miracles to justify your thinking is a logical fallacy... you can with
that
> same argument *justify anything*.
>

>> > So I disagree with you on tha point, a theory could assert
consciousness
>> > is
>> > not duplicable (in practice and in theory, like you can't go faster
than
>> > light) without being self contradictory (and you can use as much
>> > miracles as
>> > you want to say it is still possible logically, it's still a logical
>> > fallacy
>> > to do that).
>>
>> You seem to be talking about physical possibility, whereas for the
>> purpose of showing that there is a conceptual problem with the idea of
>> personal identity only logical possibility is needed.
>

> As I said, it is you who're not seeing you're making a metaphysical
> commitment on the idea, and your idea is sumarrized by "consciousness is
> duplicable"... you start with an *if* then you make it like it was never
> there in the first place to conclude what you want, it's begging the
> question... Yes ***IF*** consciousness is duplicable, it is duplicable...
> you've not shown that *IT IS*.

OK, I did say at one point "if consciousness is duplicable". That does not
necessarily imply anything about its truth; for example, I could say "if
all bachelors are unmarried men" and then go on to assert that it is in
fact the case because it's analytically true. There is a substantive issue
to discuss if we are asking whether it is physically possible to duplicate
consciousness, because it depends on the particular theory of
consciousness, whether physicalist or dualist or whatever, as well as
certain other facts about the world, such as whether the physics in the
brain is Turing emulable. But whether consciousness is LOGICALLY duplicable
is a separate question, which has a bearing on the problem of physical
identity. I think it is obvious that consciousness is logically duplicable,
because try as I might I cannot find any contradiction in the idea, nor
have you demonstrated any.

I don't know why we're arguing so much about this, because as far as I'm
aware the possibility of duplicating consciousness isn't something even
hard core religious types worry too much about. They would claim that a
soul cannot be duplicated by physical means, not that it can't be
duplicated at all.

--
Stathis Papaioannou

--