meekerdb wrote:
On 4/15/2015 4:51 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

That then leads to the questions of personal identity. As a person, my consciousness changes from moment to moment with changing thoughts and external stimuli, but I remain the same person. Can two spatially distinct consciousnesses ever be the same person? I don't think so, even if they stem from the same digital copy at some point. M-man and W-man are different persons, and neither is the unique closest continuer of H-man, so it is not that H-man is uncertain of his future -- he doesn't have one.

This differs from MWI in that, in MWI, the continuers are in different worlds.

Right. Like AI's in separate but identical worlds.

Don't you then run into the problem of the identity of indiscernibles? The programs may be run on different computers in our world, and thus discernible, but from inside the program there is only one consciousness. Just the same as if you ran the program at different times on the same computer. Same inputs --> same outputs. Not different from the point of view of the simulation.

Bruce