On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>  I don't care I'm not picky it's your choice;  you can't provide a
>> definition so just give me a example, any example, of God.
>

> > Arithmetical truth, Analytical truth, Physical truth, The God of the
> Jews, The One of Plotinus The Noùs of Plato, The "great architect" of the
> Timaeus, The "One" of Parmenides, Cantor's Great Inkonsistenz (modulo the
> spelling)
> Allah, Krishna,

I asked for one example and just as I expected you gave me more than one,
you gave me 11 and in this case more is not better.  Except for truth being
involved in 3 of them (and "truth" seems a better name for things that are
than "God") I don't see a common theme among the others except that they
are mysterious big amorphous colorless blobs of unknown answers to unasked
and unaskable questions. So I guess there are 11 Gods not 1 and THE ONE is
dead and THE ELEVEN is born

> > there are common pattern in between those notions,

Common patterns between arithmetical truth and Allah;  common patterns
between physical truth and the God of the Jews? I don't think so. Allah's
prophet Muhammad didn't even know the multiplication table much less have
an insight into arithmetical truth, and any bright 5th grader knows far
more physical truth than the God of the Jews. And Cantor's Inkonsistenz
says that a statement and its negation can't both be true and can't both be
false, and yet you said " I do not believe that god is an unintelligent
blob, nor do I believe it is not an unintelligent blob"

> Yes. Einstein did not believe in a personal God,

I don't either.

> > but he was a believer.

I'm a believer too, I believe in all sorts of things, it's just that God
isn't one of them.

> > Einstein's intution is correct: it has to do with the things we cannot
> see, believe, know, observe,  and so the science is delicate

Delicate indeed! How can you have a science about things you can't observe
or know or even believe?

>> Physics most certainly kicks back no doubt about it, I'm less certain
>> about mathematics.
>

> > Think about Church thesis. It is a thesis at the intersection of math
> and philosophy, and it kick back terribly as making non computability
> absolute, and unavoidable.

But computation is not an abstract idea it is a concrete physical process,
so perhaps mathematics is just a language describing what is physically
possible and what is not. Or perhaps not, I don't know.

    John K Clark