Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On 4 May 2015 at 17:19, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On 4 May 2015 at 17:07, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On 4 May 2015 at 17:01, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On 4 May 2015 at 16:45, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4 May 2015 at 17:40, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
wrote:
On 4 May 2015 at 14:38, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes. I've mentioned occasionally that if the substitution level is
quantum,
then no-cloning may be a problem, at least in principle. The usual
answer is
that the subst level is WAY above quantum - that our experiences
and
hence
the famous "observer moments" aren't anywhere near to the Planck
time
or
length.
If the substitution level is quantum then no-cloning may be a
problem
in practice, but not in principle.

It could be a problem in principle - in the sense that it's logically
impossible for some reason. Without a TOE we can't say, surely?

But the no-clone theorem does not say that it is impossible to make a
copy, just that it is impossible to make one at will.

making a copy implies making one at will. Otherwise it is just chance
and
you do not know you have a copy.

But the copy knows!

What does the copy know?

A moment ago I was sitting on the no. 3 tram to East Malvern, now I'm
crawling out of a swamp on a planet in the Andromeda galaxy.

Do you assume that you are a chance copy, complete with all memories, or do
you assume that you are hallucinating?

I am not sure I am not hallucinating now, though I assume I am not.

There is still you sitting on the No. 3 tram, after all. Why go to
Andromeda? Why not just consider the very remote chance that all the atoms
in your body suddenly moved to the left a couple of metres, and you are in
the middle of the road, not on the tram? The chances of this are much higher
than that of a chance copy on a hostile planet in Andromeda.

Sure, it's possible that the atoms all move, probably more likely than
my Andromeda example, but less likely than that I be created in a
galaxy far, far beyond Andromeda. In any case, if I am copied there is
a chance that I will find myself there. If I don't know I am copied I
will be surprised, but that will be the only difference.

I thought it was part of Bruno's case that the machine cannot know this from the 1p perspective. Only the external 3p observer knows there is a copy. So in the cases we we are discussing, there is no way to distinguish between being a chance copy and being the same copy moved sideways by chance. Chance copies do not work for the comp argument.

Bruce