        <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
            <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au
        <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>>>:

                Quentin Anciaux wrote:

        <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>
                    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net
        <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>
                        It would be proof that your consciousness could be
                    realized in a
                        digital computer
                    In the end it is just a program and the external
        world is
                    only memory location the program can access... What
        you call
                    "captors", "camera"... are only device which produce
        digital
                    information which mapped on the memory the program has
                    access to... If your consciousness is uploaded in a
        digital
                    machine and *computation alone* (no magic involved)
        makes
                    you conscious... the "external" world, is just memory
                    location the program that support your consciousness
        can access.

                No, it is an address via which you can access an I/O
        device to
                the external world.

            No it's an address of memory you can read or write to... you
        have no
            access to the external world...

        The fact that the I/O device also read and write to that same
        memory locations, allows the program to have digital information
        that the device write to that locations... but you can remove
        the I/O device and simulate its input/output, the programwith
        *can't* know that it is not "talking" to the I/O device, from
        it's point of view, it's the same thing... it's reading/writing
        a memory locaction. The program *has absolutely* no real access
        to anything external.

    No *guaranteed* access to such an I/O device to the external world.
    But that was covered in what I said before -- you could be a brain
    in a vat -- solipsism cannot ever be ruled out. But your I/O devices
    give you access to whatever real world there is, and there is
    nothing to be gained by just assuming that you are being fooled.

That's *not* what I said, it's not a question of being fooled or not... the program *only* has access to *memory locations*... and nothing else. That those memory locations are written by a "real" device giving you access to a digital representation of some external world (I recall the premiss: *you are a conscious program running on a digital computer*) you can only infer that the datas at that memory location *represent* (in the context of the program) some external "real" thing... That's why *you have to* extract physics from that *because* that's the *only* thing you have access to (as a program). You have *no access (at all) to this inferred real world*. You only have access to memory locations that you can read or write...

Or, if you are a flesh and blood person with a brain, access to sensory input through your eyes, ears, skin, and so on. It is not so very different -- we have to construct an operating model of the 'external' world from the information we have to hand. If part of our brain is replaced with a computer, nothing really changes. It does not mean that it has to come from asking a computer what it thinks about things.

These are eternal, and insoluble problems. So we get on with life.....

Bruce