On Fri, May 22, 2015  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> The polar ice has been shifting from north to south for decades. The
> losses and gains essentially balance out.

I know, and as far as sea levels are concerned the southern polar ice cap
is far more important than the northern one; the northern ice cap is
primarily ice over the ocean and melting that has zero effect on sea level;
if you don't believe me put some ice cubes in a glass of water and mark the
level, then come back a few hours later when the ice has melted and you
will see that the level has not changed. On the other hand the southern ice
cap is primarily ice sheets over land and melting that would cause a
dramatic increase in sea levels, but that's not happening. That's why the
sea is rising at the undramatic rate of one inch every 10 years; and that's
why on a list of existential threats to the human race climate change is so
far down the list.

Less ice floating in the arctic sea means new important shipping routes
have opened up that were not possible before, not a bad thing.

> Of course you wouldn't know this if you got your science from Forbes
> instead of looking at the source.

I didn't get that graph from Forbes,  I got it from the people who made it,
NASA. And I didn't get that figure of the ocean rising at a rate of one
inch every 10 years from Forbes either, I got it from the UN's
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

  John K Clark