For one, gravity waves are a definite prediction of Einstein's General
Realativity. At some point, the sensitivity of gravity wave detectors
will be such that if they don't turn up, it will be a mjor
embarrassment for GR.

Then, if they do turn up, we can start to use it as another window on
the universe. For example, gravity wave detectors will be just the
pants to peer inside collisions of massive bodies such as neutron
stars and black holes. Also, it might give us good intelligence as to what's
going on in our galactic centre.

So yeah, if found, it'll be quite a big deal.