On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 9:34 AM, spudboy100 via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

​> ​
> You know, I have never heard a decent definition of what energy is? I
> learnt in grade school was that energy was the ability to do work.

​You need energy to do work but you can never use all the energy you have
to do work no matter how good your technology is, much of it is always
wasted. With today's machines usually less than 40% of the energy can do
work; electric motors do better than that but you waste a lot of energy
converting heat or motion or sunlight into electricity.

> ​> ​
> Yah! Now that sounds really, scientific, not. I refined the definition, to
> be "matter in motion."

​The energy of motion is half of the mass of the matter times the velocity
of motion squared. If it's at rest it still has energy, it's the mass times
the speed of light squared. ​

​  John K Clark​