On 15/07/2016 12:38 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 14 Jul 2016, at 02:11, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 13/07/2016 11:36 pm, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 11 Jul 2016, at 13:49, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 11/07/2016 9:31 pm, Bruno Marchal wrote:

*Holiday Exercise:*

A guy undergoes the Washington Moscow duplication, starting again from Helsinki. Then in Moscow, but not in Washington, he (the one in Moscow of course) undergoes a similar Sidney-Beijing duplication.

I write P(H->M) the probability in H to get M.

In Helsinki, he tries to evaluate his chance to get Sidney.

With one reasoning, he (the H-guy) thinks that P(H-M) = 1/2, and that P(M-S) = 1/2, and so conclude (multiplication of independent probability) that P(H-S) = 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4.

But with another reasoning, he thinks that the duplications give globally a triplication, leading eventually to a copy in W, a copy in S and a copy in B, and so, directly conclude P(H-S) = 1/3.

So, is it 1/4 or 1/3 ?

Neither. The probability that the guy starting from Helsinki gets to Sydney is unity.

Try to convince the guy who gets to Beijing, or the one who stayed in Washington. He knows that the probability evaluated in Helsinki was not P(Sidney) = 1.

We start with John Clark in Helsinki, so P(JC ~ H) = 1. By construction, after the duplication and so on, P(JC ~ W) = P(JC ~ S) = P(JC ~ B) = 1. (I use '~' as a shorthand for 'in' or 'sees'.)

In the 3-1 view, that is correct.

There is no such thing as "the 3-1 view" distinct from the first person view. That is just a piece of jargon that you made up to cover the fact that you have assumed a distinction where none exists.

But in my posts I insist that "W", "M" denotes the experience of opening the door or the reconstitution box, and writting in the personal diary which cities is seen. In that case, obviously, P(W), P(S) and P(B) cannot be all equal to one as W, S and B are incompatible event.

These are not incompatible events: there are three physical bodies, one in each city. Your definition of personal identity depends only on memories (backed up by personal diaries if necessary). With this definition, and the protocol described, the bodies in W, S, and B are all the same person. So it is JC who sees W, JC who sees S, and JC who sees B. They are all the same person, so the correct prediction is that JC will see all three cities. If you now introduce a difference between the copies, then they become different persons, and the correct prediction would be that JC (who sees H) will see no further cities because he no longer exists.

JC in Helsinki knows the protocol, so he can easily see that these are the correct probabilities. So, as I said, the probability that the guy starting from Helsinki gets to Sydney is unity. Any other interpretation of this scenario involves an implicit appeal to dualism -- there is "one true JC" that goes through these duplications, and he can only ever end up in just one place.

Not at all. By comp we agree that they are all the true JC, and that they all see, taken together, all cities. But the question is about the personal events lived by the H-guy after he will push the button, and that makes the events (1p-events) incompatible.

As I said above, the events are not incompatible. You are relying on an intuition formed in a world without person duplication. Yourclaim that they are incompatible relies on an implicit dualism -- there is only one "true" JKC.

As John Clark has correctly pointed out, your intuition and formalism simply does not work in the presence of person-duplicating machines.

It works very well, but you need to distinguish between the outsider view: all JC see all cities, and each personal views obtained, which are incompatible.

You simply borrox John Clark confusion between the 3-1 views and the 1-views.

There is no such thing as the 3-1 view -- that is just a piece of jargon invented to save your argument. It does not correspond to any true distinction.

There is no single 1p view -- there are three possible 1p views in the triplication scenario.

Right. The point is that from the first person perspective, those 1-views are logically incompatible.

No they are not. They all refer to the experience of John Clark, as defined by you.

So, again, John Clark is right when he says that JC ~ H will see three cities (W, S, and B) after the experiment is completed.

yes, he is right, but only on the 3-1 view on those 1-views, not on the 1-views seen by the 1-views, which are incopatible, and which was what the prediction asked was all about.

See above. I think you have given the correct explanation in one of your replies to John Clark: "We have testimony from John Clark that John Clark saw Moscow and not Washington, and that John Clark saw Washington and not Moscow, and by computationalism, those experience cannot be lived together, and both John Clark have differentiated into different person, despite being the same old Helsinki guy. We have the testimony from both John Clark that they got one bit of information."

The crucial point in what you say here is that John Clark from Helsinki has differentiated into different persons. But you then contradict this by claiming that they are still the same person ("the same old Helsinki guy"). So your position is clearly incoherent, they can't be both the same person and yet be different persons.

Actually, the insight that, despite the copying process, different persons have been created, is the key to unravelling all the confusion that this issue has generated. It is your base theory of personal identity that has been shown to be inadequate. The closest continuer theory, with new persons in the case of ties, is the theory best able to cope with all of this.

If, as you claim, he will see only one city, you have to have some dualist 'nut or core' that survives in only one of your copies.

Of course not. Just do the tought experience, and consider all 1-views, as seen from each of them.

Do you agree that if you are promised a cup of coffee in both W and in M, you can bet in Helsinki that you will get a cup of coffee with certainty? if yes, it is the same for the question "how many city will the H-guy seen, from its personal pov, after pushing the button?". The answer is "only one city", or "I will drink a cup of cofffe in ONE city with P = one, but I cannot know which one".

Of course, as I said some time ago, the easiest resolution of you logical conundrums is that JC ~ H does not survive, and that there are three new persons, one in each city, so the probability that JC in H will see Sydney is exactly zero.

Then you predict that you will not survive either with a simple (non-duplicating) teleportation, or with a brain transplant, and we die ar each instant. That is OK (G and G* concures, but again, it is in a 3p picture, contradicted by the 1-views, boith intuitively, and mathematically.

How contradicted mathematically? It is quite a common view among philosophers of mind that a new person is created in teleportation (Captain Kirk in 'Star Trek' is killed and replaced by a copy when teleported). This is not an incoherent view, so you can't just assert that your view is the only correct one. One can survive very well without assuming computationalism.

Bruce