On 23 Aug 2016, at 00:47, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:

Interesting thoughts. In reply, I'd have think that if an after- existence was demonstrable by logic or logicians,

Note that no scientists at all could ever prove that, nor the existence of the moon. The scientists proves proposition in the frame of a theory, whose axioms are always no provable. But with computationalism, I argue that we don't need to assume elementary arithmetic, and in that theory, we still cannot prove afterlife, nor disprove it, but "staying alive" can confirm it locally. Science is fundamentally modesty: we bet we don't know.

the civilization that would exist would be different from our own and likely better.

I am not that sure.

Dreams are fascinating as a topic, but I have difficulty ascribing this to a post-biological existence.

?

Me too. All dreams are determined in a tiny part of the arithmetical reality. This is due to what Gödel already shows in 1931: computation is an arithmetical notion, and the metamathematics embeds itself partially in the mathematics.

Salvia, eh? I have too small a brain anyway, and its wired, somewhat poorly to achieve the heights of mathematics as you do.

I am not sure. The more you have neurons, the more stupidities you can say. Great discoveries can be done when you calm down you neurons, instead of exciting them too much. I agree with Gauss, mathematics is the simplest science. It is just a fashion to frightened people with it.
But math is large and there is there for much more than one taste.

Even, Einstein's brain was better wired neurologically, than most brains.

I am not sure of this, nor of how we could verify or refute such a statement. He did have some taste for some metaphysical elegance, though. A true believer!

My own suspicion (however wrong), might be that there is a read- write function to our local section of the galaxy (if not far, far, beyond it) and we ought to see if it might be functional at Planck widths? Probably too good to be true, but its an honest guess.

Who knows? But one is not enough, you need the right infinities, of both read-write functions and local section of the galaxy, or the probabilities you can use that read-write function becomes negligible.

Bruno

If you are interested in afterlife, study logic (or train yourself in remembering dreams, or smoke salvia, (if legal in your country 'course), but I guess it is better to avoid all those who claim to know the truth on the matter).