Am 16.10.2016 um 19:32 schrieb John Clark:

No, I do not know what life is. I guess, nobody does.

​You know what life is you just don't have a definition, but you
have something much better, examples. After being given a few
examples of things that are alive and things that are not it's easy
to put most new objects in the correct category, although a few
times, such as with viruses, it's a judgement call. Carroll gave us
neither a definition of "free will" nor a set of examples of things
that have it and things that don't, so I have no idea what the term

Indeed, I have pretty good tacit understanding what life is. I guess, everybody has such tacit knowledge. The problem comes when one tries to express such knowledge explicitly.

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit