Am 16.10.2016 um 19:32 schrieb John Clark:

No, I do not know what life is. I guess, nobody does.

​You know what life is you just don't have a definition, but you
have something much better, examples. After being given a few
examples of things that are alive and things that are not it's easy
to put most new objects in the correct category, although a few
times, such as with viruses, it's a judgement call. Carroll gave us
neither a definition of "free will" nor a set of examples of things
that have it and things that don't, so I have no idea what the term
means.

Indeed, I have pretty good tacit understanding what life is. I guess, everybody has such tacit knowledge. The problem comes when one tries to express such knowledge explicitly.

Evgenii