Fully Homomorphic Encryption (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homomorphic_encryption ) is a recently
discovered concept in the field of cryptography (the science of hiding
information).

Basic encryption primer, skip if you are familiar with this already:

With conventional encryption, some message M is encrypted using some secret
key K, to yield a ciphertext C. We can view the encryption operation as a
function that takes two parameters:

*C = Encrypt(M, K)*

The ciphertext appears as complete gibberish to anyone who sees it, and
absent knowledge of the key K, will be unable to make sense of it. *A
simple example of an encryption function is to assume M is a number between
0 and 999. K could be a randomly chosen number on the same range (0, 999),
and the encryption function computes the remainder of (M + K) / 1000.*

With knowledge of the key, however, there is a corresponding decryption
function, that takes the ciphertext and the key and returns the original
message:

*M = Decrypt(C, K)*

However, absent knowledge of the key, C could represent any possible
message, in a sense it is only determined when K is provided. *An example
decryption example, based on the previous encryption example, is to compute
the remainder of (1000 + C - K) / 1000.*

Now to Fully Homomorphic Encryption (FHE), FHE enables any sequence of
multiplications and additions to be performed on a cipher text by an entity
who *has no knowledge* of the key. For example:

M = 10
C = Encrypt(M, K)

C_1 = FHE_MUL(C, 2)
C_2 = FHE_ADD(C_1, 5)

20 = M*2 = Decrypt(C_1, K)
25 = M*2+5 = Decrypt(C_2, K)

The magic here is that FHE_MUL and FHE_ADD are functions that operate on
encrypted data--data that is meaningless without knowledge of the key. And
when we decrypt the modified encrypted data we get the result we would
expect.

The ability to perform multiplication and addition may seem trivial, but
actually any logic circuit can be made from stringing together additions
and multiplications in the proper sequence. Therefore, any computable
function can be implemented and applied to encrypted data.

Now on to the philosophy, what if we create a FHE circuit that computes the
state of a brain at time t2, given the state of the brain at time t1.
Perhaps it does a molecular simulation of all the particles in a person's
brain, and runs the physical simulation to advance it some period of time.
For example:

*BrainState_Time-(n+1) = BrainSim(BrainState_Time-n)*

We then create the proper circuit of logic gates to implement the function
BrainSim, and convert it to a series of multiply and add operations.
Applied to any input. Finally, we replace all the adds and multiplies with
FHE_ADD's and FHE_MUL's.

I can now provide an encrypted brain state to another entity, who can
compute as many time cycles on the brain state as desired. Let's say I
provide you my encrypted brain state file, and you compute one year's worth
of time sequences of the brain state, and return this encrypted result to
me.

When I decrypt the result, I will have a brain state file representing the
state of my brain one as it will have evolved over one year's worth of time.

Many questions arise from such a thought experiment considering FHE brain
simulation on encrypted brain state files:

1. Is the consciousness recovered by running the FHE emulation?
a) If yes, we are faced with the difficulty of how this mind can access
itself and its own mental states without knowledge of the encryption key.
b) If no, we are faced wit the difficulty that this mind emulation is a
philosophical zombie, at least until we decrypt it?

2. Is the decryption step at the end necessary or irrelevant to recovering
consciousness?

3. If we perform the decryption at each step of the way, does that recover
consciousness along the way?

4. Does skipping steps along the way without performing the decryption of
the intermediate steps impact what the simulated mind experiences (if it
experiences anything ay all)

5. What if the key is deleted before the FHE computations are performed?

6. Is FHE emulation the ultimate key to information privacy when we say yes
to the doctor, or is it the ultimate disaster when we accidentally zombiefy
ourselves by uploading our encrypted brain states to be processed in the
cloud?

7. Would you say yes to the FHE doctor?

I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Jason