On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 9:14:07 AM UTC+10, Bruce wrote:

> [...]
> be different and you would still be the same. But that is not what we
> were talking about. I understood the issue to be whether there was a
> unique past, or whether several (or many) different paths lead to our
> current state. The determinism of the Schrödinger equation would suggest
> that your unique state has a unique history. Variations in microscopic
> details of with your body, or the universe, would correspond to
> different decohered worlds with no overlap with our world. So while such
> variations are possible, they do not amount to multiple histories
> leading to our current state. We don't need to know that state in detail
> to be able to argue the consequences of determinism.

> that
> paths
> the

> erasure
> erased,
> The
> until
> paths,
> >>
> >> That is not what is implied by delayed choice quantum erasure. Whether
> an
> >> interference pattern is seen or not is determined by whether the "which
> way"
> >> information is erased or not. But whether it is or not, the
> interference is
> >> only seen when coincidence measurements tell one which photons to
> count. And
> >> the timing information necessary for coincidence determination is
> available
> >> only *after* all decisions about erasure or not have been made, whether
> that
> >> decision is made before or after the other photon of the entangled pair
> has
> >> reached its detector.
> >>
> >> "Delayed choice" is perhaps a misleading phrase in this context, and it
> does
> >> not lead to an ambiguity of path -- it merely tells whether there was
> an
> >> intact superposition or not.
> > I know, this is not what I am trying to say. I'll choose something much
> simpler:
> >
> > Suppose there is a computer running in an empty room. This computer is
> > connected to a random number generator. At some point it uses the
> > random value to decide if it's going to show a screen that is all
> > green or all red. Nobody witnesses it.
>
> If the random number generator is based on quantum randomness, then in
> principle you will get a superposition of red and green screens, but
> this is like the question as to whether we see a superposition of live
> and dead cats in Schrödinger's thought experiment. Even if there is an
> underlying quantum event that would give a superposition, decoherence
> steps in and resolves the outcome into separate worlds long before we
> reach the macro level of live/dead cats or red/green screens.
> Decoherence does not require anyone to witness it....

I believe Telmo is subscribing to a view of QM, suggested by Bruno's "comp"
theory, that the observer's subjective state - down to some unknown level
of resolution (the "substitution level") - is what determines the possible
future states of that observer (probabilistically, by the measure on
subjective continuations in the UD trace). So you are talking different
languages. I don't know if Telmo is aware or not of the conventional view
of decoherence - that it is a matter of the spread of information into the
environment by means of physical interactions between particles. Telmo's
musings about the effect of destroying memory (could it change the measure
of different futures?) clearly expresses this subjectivist view. FWIW, you
are expressing my own understanding of the situation: there can be no
superposition of red and green screens or dinosaurs, or dead and live cats,
because there can be no quantum superposition of macroscopic objects.
Superpositions of wave functions are only possible for systems isolated
from interaction with their environment, which is why quantum computers are
so fricking hard to make: keeping aggregates of particles isolated from
interactions with the surrounding environment is exponentially more
difficult as the system grows in size.