On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​
>> Anything that can be done a Turing Machine can do, if it can't be done
>> then a Turing Machine can't do it, and neither can anything else.​

​> ​
> If "can be done" means "can compute or emulate", I am OK. That is
> basically Church's Thesis.
> ​ ​
> If by "can be done" mean solve a problem, or prove a theorem, then it is
> an entirely different story.

​
If you were bound and determined to prove that the Halting Problem had a
solution you could certainly find starting axioms that would allow you to
construct that conclusion, but then you could also prove there was a one to
one correspondence between the integers and the Real Numbers. Perhaps that
doesn't frighten you but a proof is only as good as the axioms it starts
with
​,​
so I want to be very very conservative with my choice of axioms because I'd
rather there be true statements that have no proof they are true than false
statements that do have a proof they are true. In the fist case you can't
know everything for certain and that's a shame, but in the second case you
can't know anything for certain and that's worse.

John K Clark