On 05 Jun 2017, at 21:48, Brent Meeker wrote:

Here Scott Aaronson addresses the "pretty-hard problem of consciousness"

http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1951

Not much time to read it all, but very interesting. But they miss the point. They still don't listen to the machine.

I would say they (still) miss the "third incompleteness theorem of Gödel-1931", like Penrose (and this despite I think Aaronson is aware of the main mistake made by Penrose).

The "third theorem" of Gödel is at the end of the 1931 paper where he explains that the proof of the second theorem (no consistent theory/ machine can prove its own consistency) can be carried out in (I prefer to say by) the theory/machine itself.

If the machine/theory is PA, or a PA theorem prover, the second theorem says that if PA is consistent then consistent(PA) is not provable by PA.

The "third theorem" says that PA already knew it. It says that PA proves (consistent(PA) -> Non(provable(consistent(PA)).

Gödel was quite quick on this, and that will be proved with all the precision required by Hilbert and Bernays in 1939, and generalized and embellished in an utter strange way by Löb, in 1955.

That changes everything. Consciousness becomes almost easy, but matter needs revision.

His idea of "participation in the Arrow of Time"

I will have to look at that.

is a narrower and more technical version of my idea that consciousness only exists in the context of an environment in which it can both perceive and act.

Absolutely. We have already discuss this. But you don't to reify it.

I have to explain you that for the (Löbian) machine or number Gödel's COMpleteness theorem (1930), a machine/theory/number is consistent if and only if there is a reality satisfying its beliefs. Logicians uses "model" for reality, but physicists uses model for theory. So I will use reality. A reality is "modelled" by a structured collection. The (standard) model of PA is the structure (N, 0, +, *) with their usual intepretation.

You ask for an environment. Translated in arithmetic, this is asking for a reality, and thus (by completeness) for consistency, which ~Bf = Dt (D = ~B~).

When you ask, for consciousness, that we add the reality to the machine, so that things are contextualized, your argument, in a language that PA can understand, is to replace the simple *belief of p* by *belief of p and consistency (of p)*. You motivate for the passage of []p to the passage of []p & <>t.
(Note that we have Bp & Dp equivalent with Bp & Dt)

Gödel makes <>p unavailable by logic, so that indeed it makes sense, and changes the logic, to add such a requirement. <>p means (for us, the machine can miss this, or misapplies this, ...) the existence of a structure (environment) which satisfies p. It is also the necessary requirement to make sense of a probability or any measure on uncertainty.

We get it by the passage from []p to []p & p, or Bp to Bp & p. The idea of Theaetetus. This entails Dp. Truth and correctness implies consistency, but consistency
does not imply correctness/truth.

You are right we must take the environment, but as we cannot justify it, that requirement can be used to define that (type) of consciousness.

Consciousness is (first person self)-knowledge, provided more aptly by Bp & p (than the mere representational belief Bp), so your requirement for consciousness is more given by Bp & p & Dt. Amazingly perhaps, incompleteness differentiates again the logics, and it corresponds more to immediate perception, sensibility. Bp & p & Dt is less solipsistic than the "pure" Bp & p.

The universal machine gives us already a "theory of consciousness" which is S4Grz, and X, X*, X1, X1*, and all nuances imposed by self- referential correctness. It is also empirically testable, as physics should be obtained with S4Grz1, Z1*, X1*.

They should listen to the machine, or to those listening to the machine.

The physicists have the good motivations, but the bad strategy. The logicians have the good strategy, but the bad motivation.

The book by Cohen(*) shed a lot of light on the recent origin of this situation, and why logicians are anxious with the possibility that logic could be applied in philosophy, theology, biology (and when I was young, even in computer science!).

Thanks for the link, I will surely come back to it, and comment.

Bruno

(*) Cohen J. Daniel, 2007. Equations from God, Pure Mathematics and Victorian Faith, John Hopkins Press, Baltimore.

A lot of good comments too.