On 23 July 2017 at 23:53, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well then what exactly was the question? Explain how a demand for the name
> of one and only one city as a answer to a question made about the future
> posed to somebody who was only one but was about to become 2 can make any
> sense.  And try replacing the 4 uses of the personal pronoun "you" in the
> short sentence I quote above with "
> Stathis Papaioannou
> ​".​
>
> Personal pronouns simply can't be used in the casual way we do in everyday
> life if personal pronoun duplicating machines are introduced into the mix.
> Nothing, absolutely positively nothing, has caused more confusion in this
> topic than the careless use of personal pronouns; the fact that
> contradictions results implies nothing about physics or mathematics or
> philosophy but plenty about grammar.

Each of the 7.5 billion people in the world use the pronoun "me" to refer
to themselves, and can point to any of the other 7.5 billion and use the
pronoun "you" to refer to any of them. If there were trillions of copies of
everyone, the pronouns would still be used in the same way, i.e. each copy
would point at himself and say "me" and point to each of his identical
neighbours and say "you". Each copy that comes out of the transporter would
continue to say "I went into the transporter in city A and came out in city
B", even though he knows that copies also came out in cities C, D, E etc.
Everyone would know what they mean, because the nature of pronouns is that
they can stand for multiple entities.

--
Stathis Papaioannou