On 9 October 2017 at 16:12, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> [...]
> implied relations between certain physical objects then consciousness may
> be conceived in exactly the same way. But then we would be left with a bare
> identity theory: physical relations=consciousness, with no elementary
> connection to computation per se.
>

> It is the belief that one universal machine won against all the other.
>
> With mechanism, we have the fight between a finite number of universal
> machine (from the colleagues to some bacteria ...) above our substitution
> level, and infinitely many universal numbers below our substitution level
> (the results of the global FPI on the infinitely many relative
> computations).
>
> The chance is that this is structred by the logic of self-reference.
>

> Also since 'existence' here essentially equates, as I remarked, to
> explanatory power, what will have occurred, on the foregoing assumptions,
> is the withdrawal of any such power from either computation or
> consciousness not already attributable to a primitively physical causality.
>

> That could have made sense, but by assuming the digitalness mechanism (and
> most of its weakening with oracle) just made the invocation of the physical
> like an invalid use of an ontological commitment to avoid a problem.
>
> If the physical play a role, it needs some magic ability to make
> consciousness, if consciousness is not in the trueness of the relation
> defining this or that computation. mechanism makes it into an inoperative
> god or a selector of computation, ignoring the first person indexical
> selection.
>

> Since explanatory entities should not needlessly be proliferated, the
> assumption of primitive physicality should equally entail the dismissal of
> such supernumerary hypotheses. AFAICS this is what Dennett, obfuscatory
> language apart, actually seeks to do. Trouble is, these 'supernumerary'
> hypotheses subsume the entire spectrum of phenomenal reality, or what we
> are pleased to call the ('actual') world. Ah well, so much the worse for
> something.
>

> It cannot work. This avoids (implicitly) the measure problem. With
> mechanism, the "hard problem of consciousness" is more easy: it is solved
> or meta-solved by the proof that any machine which observe itself is led to
> an undoubtable & non-rationally-justifiable truth (not necessarily having a
> unique form/content). But the "matter" problem becomes harder, as we can no
> more point to one big universal number (the physical world)  and invoke it,
> we have to justify it by computing the relative sum on all histories which
> brought our relative states.
>
> Dennett seems to take Matter for granted, and then explain Consciousness
> away. He is inconsistent, like all people believing in weak materialism and
> mechanism. That works locally, but makes no sense in the possible "big
> picture".
>
> Note that "primary matter" is never assumed in physics. It is an

​I'm not sure that I can wholly agree with you about this. Or rather I
agree that it's a metaphysical or theological assumption but it's
nevertheless one that is probably assumed, even if unreflectively, as a
physical one by many practitioners. For me, 'primary' implies the
assumption of irreducibility in terms of the relevant theory. I suspect
that most physicists - Deutsch for one with the notion of 'computable' as
ultimately coterminous with physically-transformable - ​consider physics to
be in a rather strong sense the 'rock bottom' of reality, not further
reducible to something 'not-yet-physical'. Krauss comes to mind as someone
who proposes physical law as the ultimate 'reason' there is something
rather than nothing. Tegmark may be an exception, albeit a
not-always-consistent one.

David