On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:54:51PM +1100, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> On 15/11/2017 5:02 pm, Russell Standish wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 02:46:21PM +1100, Bruce Kellett wrote:

> > > I said "one of the strongest"! I know that you want to define QM from the
> > > idea of observer moments. I don't think that this will work, and the usual
> > > consensus is that one of the strengths of MWI is the elimination of the
> > > conscious observer.
> > Where's your evidence that this is the usual concensus? Who argues for it?
>
> Most people, indirectly if not directly. I am thinking of MWI proponents
> such as Deutsch and Wallace. Wallace puts it like this "Some have argued
> that he measurement problem of quantum mechanics gives us reason to abandon
> the picture of science as describing an observer-independent world....". He
> does not accept this view. The general view of scientific realism consists
> in the belief that the objective external world is independent of the
> observer. The thinking is related to Bell's assertion that: "Measurement
> should never be introduced as a primitive process in a fundamental
> mechanical theory like classical or quantum mechanics..." Measurement,
> observation, observers are all related concepts in this context.

Deutsch, I could believe would argue that. But Wheeler would be a
counter to that. I'm not that familiar with Wallace.

> > > That is not true. The basis problem is solved by Zurek's einselection --
> > > the
> > > preferred basis is the one that is stable against further
> > > decoherence.
> > I understand that the idea of einselection is still rather
> > controversial,
>
> Not really. See Schlosshauer's paper and book.

I haven't really followed the literature, but it strikes me that
problem is that ultimately einselection is not a unitary process, so
it has to be considered as the result of some sort of coarse graining
(which is, of course, due to the actions of the observer discretising
a continuous world), in much the same way as the second law of
thermodynamics emerges from a strictly reversible microscopic
dynamics.

I find it intriguing that the recent critique of Einselection by
Kastner is entitled "`Einselection' of Pointer Observables: the new
H-Theorem". The H-Theorem, as I'm sure you know, but for the benefit
of other lurkers is Bolzmann's mechanism of deriving the second law
from coarse graining the revrsible microscopic dynamics.

> > but be that as it may, I can't see how it solves the
> > preferred basis problem. Consider an experiment where the experimenter
> > may choose between inserting a circularly polarised file, or a
> > linearly polarised one. The preferred basis (selected by einselection)
> > will depend on that choice.
>
> That is a common misconception, but the angle selected for the polarizer, or
> the S-G magnet in a spin measurement, is not a selection of a measurement
> basis. The measurement is actually the observation whether or not the
> photon/particle passes the filter. It is then an inference from the
> observation of a point on a screen, or the firing (or failing to fire) of a
> detector of some sort, that the polarization/spin-component was such and
> such. You don't actually measure anything in the selected orientation, you
> only ever measure whether the particle passed the filter or not. So the
> actual measurement is just a position measurement (position on a screen),
> and the measurement basis is the position (pointer) basis.

But not all measurements are measurements of the position of
something. What about measuring the voltage of a circuit using an A->D
converter? Or the measurement of the momentum of a charged particle in
an electron multier?

> > In MWI, we normally assume that there are
> > two branches of the universe with different choices made by the
> > experimenter.
>
> That is really an oversimplification. It is done because it is simpler to
> work with two-state systems, and position measurements are of a continuous
> variable, so are not neatly two-valued.

The choice between circularly polarised filter and linear polarised
filters is binary. Obviously, there follows the choice of orientation,
which is continuous...

> > Unless there is some sort of superdeterminism in play,
> > where the experimenter does not have the freedom to choose. But
> > superdeterminism is certainly not a popular idea.
>
> No, superdeterminism does not have many advocates.
>
> > > Observers have nothing to do with it. In Zurek's account, it is the fact
> > > that the results of interactions, be they measurements or not, are
> > > recorded
> > > multiple times in the environment via decoherence, that is the mark of an
> > > irreversible quantum event.
> > If you put a system in contact with a completely symmetric heat bath,
> > there will be no preferred basis selected by einselection.
>
> The environment of a measurement or an interaction is not generally a
> symmetric heat bath.

If there is no experimenter, just an environment, then we must
consider all possible environments in superposition. That will have
maximal symmetry.

> If you measure a spin component (space quantization)
> you get one of two spots on a screen downstream of the S-G magnet. These are
> not symmetric wrt the rest of the environment.

That is because we're considering an SG experiment, with an SG
experimenter. That breaks the symmetry.

> In one world the irreversible
> record is of an upper spot. In the other world it is of the lower spot. The
> distinction is not lost because of symmetry. The basis for the measurement
> is the position basis, because that is stable against further decoherence.
> The angle of the S-G magnet is not the measurement basis.
>
> > The only
> > way for a basis to emerge is if there are system constraints of some
> > sort. I would argue that the only way these constraints could arise in
> > a Multiverse (which is symmetric by construction) is by considering
> > the environment from the point of view of some observer, ie the basic
> > symmetry breaking mechanism.
>
> The observer is not a general symmetry breaking mechanism.

I would argue that observation in a multiverse is a symmetry breaking
mechanism. In the multiverse, all possible outcomes of a measurement
exist as separate branches, and if all outcomes are equally likely,
there is a fundamental symmetry along that measurement axis. But the
action of observation fixes the outcome for a particular observer,
breaking that symmetry.

> The many worlds
> in QM are not symmetric anyway.

Not completely, but far more symmetric that the world we inhabit.