On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> Richard Feynman in "The Character of Physical Law" Chapter 2 wrote:
>
> "It always bothers me that according to the laws as we understand them
> today, it takes a computing machine an infinite number of logical
> operations to figure out what goes on in no matter how tiny a region of
> space, and no matter how tiny a region of time. How can all that be going
> on in that tiny space? Why should it take an infinite amount of logic to
> figure out what one tiny piece of space/time is going to do?"

​
Obviously infinite logic is not required unless infinite precision is also
required, but sometimes (and protein folding
​
would be a good example of this) an astronomically huge number of
calculations are required for even a
​
very
​
modest approximation
​
of what is happening in a tiny piece of spacetime, and yet nature can do it
with great precision in a fraction of a second. How come? Feynman himself
took the first first tentative steps toward answering that question just
before he died, as far as I know he was the first person to introduce the
idea of a quantum computer.

> ​> ​
> Does computationalism provide the answer to this question,

No natural phenomenon has ever been found where nature has solved a
NP-hard problem in polynomial time.
​Quantum Computer expert​
 Scott Aaronson actually
​tested this​
 and this is what he
​found​
:

*" taking two glass plates with pegs between them, and dipping the
resulting contraption into a tub of soapy water. The idea is that the soap
bubbles that form between the pegs should trace out the minimum Steiner
tree — that is, the minimum total length of line segments connecting the
pegs, where the segments can meet at points other than the pegs themselves.
Now, this is known to be an NP-hard optimization problem. So, it looks like
Nature is solving NP-hard problems in polynomial time!Long story short, I
went to the hardware store, bought some glass plates, liquid soap, etc.,
and found that, while Nature does often find a minimum Steiner tree with 4
or 5 pegs, it tends to get stuck at local optima with larger numbers of
pegs. Indeed, often the soap bubbles settle down to a configuration which
is not even a tree (i.e. contains “cycles of soap”), and thus provably
can’t be optimal.*

*The situation is similar for protein folding. Again, people have said that
Nature seems to be solving an NP-hard optimization problem in every cell of
your body, by letting the proteins fold into their minimum-energy
configurations. But there are two problems with this claim. The first
problem is that proteins, just like soap bubbles, sometimes get stuck in
suboptimal configurations — indeed, it’s believed that’s exactly what
happens with Mad Cow Disease. The second problem is that, to the extent
that proteins do usually fold into their optimal configurations, there’s an
obvious reason why they would: natural selection! If there were a protein
that could only be folded by proving the Riemann Hypothesis, the gene that
coded for it would quickly get weeded out of the gene pool." *
For
​ more I highly ​recommend
 Aaronson's book *"Quantum Computing since Democritus".*

 ​John K Clark​