On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 2:27:46 AM UTC, Jason wrote:

> [...]
>>> hour does not materialize out of nothing from the mere act of looking at it.
>>>

>>> No measurement is made of the cat, the Geiger counter, or the atom, by
>>> anyone outside the isolated system of the box, so according to the
>>> Copenhagen Interpretation the superposition does not collapse. The cat is
>>> both alive and dead. That is, until someone opens the door to peek inside.
>>> In that instant, the wave function collapses and the system randomly
>>> “decides” whether the cat is alive or dead.
>>>

>>> If the state collapses to that of the dead cat, what happens to the
>>> experiences of the cat who was in the superposition of being alive and dead
>>> over the past hour? Do they suddenly vanish as if they never happened at
>>> all? Perhaps they never existed in the first place, as Bohr’s anti-realist
>>> approach would answer. But this leads to another problem: if the cat is
>>> observed to be alive, do all of its memories and experiences over the
>>> past hour suddenly pop into existence? Is the cat’s experience of 15
>>> minutes ago ever experienced?
>>>

>>> It is one thing to believe that microscopic particles might be in two
>>> different states at once, but quite another to believe the same for a large
>>> and complex system, such as a cat. The CI implies that a living, breathing
>>> cat, with a consistent history and memories of the previous hour, can
>>> instantly materialize from the simple act of observation.
>>>

>>> Schrödinger's experiment has also been extended to highlight other
>>> problems. The mathematical physicist Eugene Wigner discussed a thought
>>> experiment known as Wigner’s friend. In it, Wigner’s friend is in a room
>>> that is sealed off from the rest of the world and in that room is a box
>>> containing Schrödinger's cat. The friend opens the box after an hour and
>>> notices whether or not the cat is alive. Sometime later, Wigner opens the
>>> door to the room to check on his friend. When does the wave function
>>> collapse, when the friend checks on the cat, or when Wigner checks on
>>> his friend? If it is when the friend checks on the cat, then the isolated
>>> system, unobserved by Wigner, has already collapsed (in contradiction to
>>> the CI). Yet, if it does not collapse for the friend checking on the cat,
>>> this is another contradiction, for he has made an observation of a system
>>> in a superposition. The CI seems to have difficulties handling multiple
>>> observers. mea
>>>

>> *I don't see how Wigner's friend presents a problem for Copenhagen.
>> According to the CI, the wf collapses when the system measured, which is
>> when the box is opened. What am I missing? The issue of the cat's memory is
>> a different matter, problematic IMO. AG *
>>

> The problem is according to the CI, an isolated system evolves according
> to the Shrodinger equation, and therefore does not collapse.  But it also
> says observation causes collapse. So when you have a conscious observer who
> is himself part of an isolated system, from the point of view of another

*If the system isn't isolated, it cannot be in a superposition of states.
So including the observer as part of the system is self defeating if one
wants to do a quantum experiment. The existence of an observer doesn't
contradict isolation of the system if the observer is an instrument
recording the result. AG *