On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 4:48:48 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> [...]
>> never "knew", but rather believed, and is now based on elaborate,
>> contrived, arithmetic mumbo-jumbo. AG*
>>
>> Not arithmetical mumbo-jumbo, but arithmetical facts, knows since 1931.
>> You are the one speculating on some primary (Aristotelian) reality.
>>
> But then it can be shown NOT working when we assume our locale finiteness
>> and computability at some level of self-description. You can add infinities
>> in the mind to save primative matter, but that is like assuming God has a
>> Mother to explain the existence of God.
>>

> I do NOT assume "primitive matter", or, shall we say, "substance". What I
> assume is some geometry of space which varies in time and location, that
> precludes motion in some directions, giving rise to the appearance of
> solidity.
>

> You assume some physical space and physical time. What is it? and how they
> select the computations in arithmetic? You will need special infinities to
> link the mind to some volume in your space-time. See my papers or the
> archive to see why.
>

> I don't see this as Aristotelian or Platonic. Nor do I see what Godel has
> to do with all this. All I know about Godel, admittedly not much, is that
> he proved that some mathematical propositions are undecidable in
> mathematics, like the fact that there is no infinity between the integers
> and the continuum. Can you explain in simple terms why Godel is important
> in the context of physical theories? AG
>

> Gödel show that no
> theories/machines/number/program/finite-things/digital-things, when having
> enough introspection to admit enough induction axiom, can prove that if
> they are consistent (which is equivalent with the idea that some
> reality/model exists for their beliefs) then they cannot effectively
> justify this rationally.
>
> Gödel's second incompleteness is the first theorem in exact machine
> theology, if you want. The key point (missed by Penrose and mpany) is that
> the machine can prove its own Gödel's theorem, and indeed can discover,
> like Solovay, that the whole true and and the whole provable propositional
> theologies are decidable, and captured respectively by G (for the provable
> part), and G* for the entire true part.
>
> G is a modal logic whose main axiom is B(Bp -> p) -> Bp (a formula due to
> Löb, which explains why I call those machines Löbian). You will find more
> explanations in my papers(*). You might study some books in Logic and/or
> theoretical computer science.
>
> Bruno
>

> (*)
> Marchal B. The computationalist reformulation of the mind-body problem.
> Prog Biophys Mol Biol; 2013 Sep;113(1):127-40
>
> Marchal B. The Universal Numbers. From Biology to Physics, Progress in
> Biophysics and Molecular Biology, 2015, Vol. 119, Issue 3, 368-381.
>
>  B. Marchal. The Origin of Physical Laws and Sensations. In 4th
> International System Administration and Network Engineering Conference,

I've only just skimmed your last paper above. I cannot relate to it. I am
not in a position to say you're on the right or wrong track in solving the
mind-body problem. I was a software engineer at the Jet Propulsion
Laboratory in Pasadena, California, with degrees in mathematics and
physics, but I cannot relate to, or understand, your conjectures about
arithmetic and computers. If there is some entity or whatever doing the
calculations to create the world illusion (in your view), where is it
located, and how did it come into existence? Same old God-problem? I do
assume the existence of space and time. It seems more plausible, minimally
as a working hypothesis, than in denying their existence. AG