On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 7:45:41 PM UTC-7, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-7, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>>
>> The cosmological constant is Λ ~ 10^{-52}cm^{-2} and the scale factor
>> evolves as
>>
>> a(t) = a_0 exp(t sqrt{Λc^2/3}).
>>
>> The factor sqrt{Λc^2/3} ~ 10^{-18}sec^{-1}. For a billion years this is t
>> ~ 3x10^{16} sec and so sqrt{Λc^2/3}t ~ .03 and the scale factor increases
>> by 1.03. The CMB microwave background will be expanded by a small change.
>> In 10 billion years this is t ~ 3x10^{17}sec and so sqrt{Λc^2/3}t ~ .3 and
>> the scale factor expands by 1.4. At 100 billion and a trillion the scale
>> factor expands by 20 and in a trillion years by 10^{13}. This means the CMB
>> peak wavelength will be about 10^{10}m. That is not quite the length of the
>> cosmos, but in 10 trillion years the expansion factor is close to ~
>> 10^{800} which means the wavelength at this point is larger than the
>> cosmological horizon scale. At that point the CMB will be removed from the
>> view of any observer. The time where wavelength becomes longer than the
>> cosmological horizon occurs in about 2 trillion years.
>>
>> LC
>>

> *Does the CMB just keep getting progressively redder as the cosmos
> expands, or does it actually "wink out", meaning CMB photons which we might
> eventually observe, begin their jurney **beyond our horizon? Since no new
> ones are being created, and the original ones are within our immediate
> neighborhood, like Andromeda, I don't see how they can wink out. AG *

*The CMB does "wink out" and the simplest way of seeing this is to
recognize that the rate of expansion is a purely geometric effect. It is
greater the farther away one is from our present location, consistent with
Hubble's law. So if distant galaxies "wink out" when they cross the cosmic
horizon, so must photons comprising the CMB since they're coming from an
earlier epoch, that is a more **distant  **location, beyond all galaxies,
where the rate of expansion is greater than it is for all galaxies at all
distances. AG*

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 10:38:29 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote