On 5 Jan 2018 19:27, "Bruno Marchal" <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 4 Jan 2018, at 21:07, David Nyman <david.ny...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 4 Jan 2018 18:16, "Bruno Marchal" <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On Jan 4, 2018, at 1:22 PM, David Nyman <da...@davidnyman.com> wrote:

On 4 January 2018 at 11:55, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> > On Jan 3, 2018, at 10:57 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> seemed to be universal agreement on this list that a philosophical zombie
> is impossible.
> >>

> >> Precisely: that a philosophical zombie is impossible when we assume
> Mechanism.
> >
> > But the consensus here has been that a philosophical zombie is
> impossible because it exhibits intelligent behavior.
>
> Well, I think the consensus here is that computationalism is far more
> plausible than non-computationalism.
> Computationalism makes zombies non sensical.
>

> >> Philosophical zombie remains logical consistent for a non
> computationalist theory of mind.
> >
> > It's logically consistent with a computationalist theory of brain. It is
> only inconsistent with a computationalist theory of mind because use
> include as an axiom that computation produces mind.  One can as say that
> intelligent behavior entails mind as an axiom of physicalism.  Logic is a
> very cheap standard for theories to meet.
>
> At first sight, zombies seems consistent with computationalism, but the
> notion of zombies requires the idea that we attribute mind to bodies
> (having the right behavior). But with computationalism, mind is never
> associated to a body, but only to the person having the infinity of
> (similar enough) bodies relative representation in arithmetic. There are no
> “real bodies” or “ontological bodies”, so the notion of zombie becomes
> senseless. The consciousness is associated with the person, which is never
> determined by one body.

​So in the light of what you say above, does it then follow that the MGA
implies (assuming comp) that a physical system does *not* in fact implement
a computation in the relevant sense?

The physical world has to be able to implement the computation in the
relevant (Turing-Church-Post-Kleene CT) sense. You need this for the YD
“act of faith.

The physical world is a persistent illusion. It has to be enough persistent
that you wake up at the hospital with the digital brain.

I ask this because you say mind is *never* associated with a body, but mind
*is* associated with computation via the epistemic consequences of
universality.

A (conscious) third person can associate a mind/person to a body that he
perceives. It is polite.

The body perceived by that third person is itself a construction of its own
mind, and with computationalism (but also with QM), we know that such a
body is an (evolving) map of where, and in which states, we could find, sy,
the electron and proton of that body, and such snapshot is only a
computational state among infinitely many others which would works as well,
with respect to the relevant computations which brought its conscious state.
Now, the conscious first person cannot associate itself to any particular
body or computation.

Careful: sometimes I say that a machine can think, or maybe (I usually
avoid) that a computation can think or be conscious. It always mean,
respectively, that a machine can make a person capable of manifesting
itself relatively to you. But the machine and the body are local relative
representation.

A machine cannot think, and a computation (which is the (arithmetical)
dynamic 3p view of the sequence of the relative static machine/state)
cannot think. Only a (first) person can think, and to use that thinking
with respect to another person, a machine is handy, like brain or a
physical computer.

The person is in heaven (arithmetical truth) and on earth (sigma_1
arithmetical truth), simultaneously. But this belongs to G*, and I should
stay mute, or insist that we are in the “after-act-of-faith” position of
the one betting that comp is true, and … assuming comp is true. It is
subtle to talk on those things, and it is important to admit that we don’t
know the truth (or we do get inconsistent and fall in the theological trap).

If so, according to comp, it would follow that (the material appearance and
behaviour of) a body cannot be considered *causally* relevant to the
computation-mind polarity,

Yes, that is true, with respect to the arithmetical truth (where there is
no bodies, only natural numbers), and false for the physical realm, which,
despite being a statistics on dreams (associated to computations in
arithmetic)

but instead must be regarded as a consistent *consequence* of it.

Again that is correct in the 0th person view, but incorrect in the physical
phenomenal view (1p-plural). With respect to me, your brain makes the
relevant computations. We do share the most of our computations, and that
is because the arithmetical multiplication of the “bodies”, or “Gödel
numbers”, arithmetical relative computations have or should  the right
measure (which remains to be continuously verified.

The arithmetico-logical entailment is like

NUMBER ==> CONSCIOUSNESS ==> PHYSICS ==> HUMAN CONSCIOUSNESS

So, again with respect to the MGA, under the original assumption of
physicalism, we are to conclude that the filmed graph scenario cannot be
associated with a conscious state because the necessary computations are
not implemented.

The consciousness is associated to the “abstract logical relations” which
defines the computations, in term of numbers, or physical objects (which
will be given by infinities of numbers and computational relations).

But I thought that the point of the first part of the MGA, initially
assuming physicalism, in which the broken logic gates are 'fixed' only by
the intervention of the filmed graph, was supposed to show that *no*
relevant computations were being implemented in that scenario. And that
consequently any association with this state of affairs and consciousness
would be absurd. Isn't that correct?

What you say above seems more consistent with the situation *after* the
assumption of a 'reversal' of the relation between physics and machine
psychology, in that we are then always dealing, ex hypothesi, with what is
ultimately computation in one form or another. Am I wrong?

Also, I'm still unclear whether, after the demonstration that the original
MGA scenario does not implement a computation or any association with a
conscious state, the reversal is supposed to convince us that the opposite
is now the case. Sorry for the confusion.

Now “a physical computation”, like anyone done by any universal numbers, do
make possible to the consciousness to manifest itself, The physical must
start from the statistic on all computations.Yet, endemically, it always
look like once computation above the substitution level.

If so, what difference does it make if one abandons the assumption of
physicalism in this case and assumes comp? Are we then to suppose that the
filmed graph now implements a computation and hence is now associated with
a conscious state? If not, what difference is the reversal supposed to have
made to the situation?

The difference is that with comp, if you want to keep physicalism, you need
to define precisely what you mean by the primary matter, like saying it is
irreducible particles, or strings, say, and you need to explain what is not
Turing emulable in their 3p behaviour, and why that select the computations
in the universal deployment (alias the sigma_1 complete arithmetical
reality).

If this is the case, then why is the conclusion of the MGA, continuing to
assume physicalism (although I understand the arguments for not doing so
you cite above), that the broken logic gates + the filmed graph don't
implement a computation?

The MGA shows you need magic to keep comp and the idea that there is an
inrreductible physical dream. With comp, physics is the mode of the
self-reference which “arithmetically guaranty” *some* reality ([]p & <>t).
[]p & <>t gives the measure one. Think about the WM-duplication thought
experiment. You are guarantied (modulo the act of faith) that in all
relative continuations you will have a cup of coffee. That is []p with p “I
will be offered a cup of coffee”. But []p -> p, nor the existence of a
reality, <>t,  can be guarantied (except by the big Truth), so to have a
notion of bet which attach the rational relative quasi certainty ([]p) to
the consistency (<>t), G* shows that it does not change the (arithmetical)
reality that you can apprehend, but it changes the modes of apprehension,
which are the nuances between p, []p, []p & p, []p & <>t, etc.

Physicalism relies, could we say, with two important assumptions:

1)  that one universal number U is more important than all the other, like
perhaps a quantum dovetailer, *and*

2) that it is irreductible, or not explainable, or justifiable from
something else.

But with computationalism, the only way to satisfy 1) is that the “winner”
U must be determined by the measure one on the computational continuations
as seen by the average person supported by the (many) universal numbers
implementing it.

You can see a universal machine/number as a system of reference for the
sequence of partial computable function phi_i. It is like a base in
physics. Once a system is used, all systems get associated with a number.
Physicalism believe a special computational base is in play, but with
computationalism, if that is true, it has to be justifiable from the
universal machine logical self-reference ability, or we introduce some
magic.

UDA was initially UDP (Universal Dovetailer Paradox). It is as much a
problem than an argument. It shows that the mind-body problem is two times
more difficult with computationalism, as it is partially transformed into
the obligation of reducing the “observable” in term of universal machine
self-reference ability (and then incompleteness provides the nuances needed
to do that in the manner of the greeks).

MGA is for those who keep materialism and computationalism, and it shows
that if primary matter plays a role, the role is magical, and isomorphic to
the bad use of the “big one” in metaphysics. An invention to hide a
question. Very useful when you don’t have the time to work on the
fundamental perhaps, certainly a resting position leading to focusing on
the measurable numbers and make big discoveries, but at the metaphysical
level, it simply needs to invoke magic, where computationlism needs to
invoke only the logical transcendence of truth (about a machine, by that
machine or the person supported by it).

Perhaps I need to have the MGA broken down step by step again. I thought
the first part of the argument was a reductio against the possibility of a
primitively physical device in the state as described being capable of
implementing a computation, and hence by implication any conscious state. I
understand your argument against the 'magical' selection of a particular
class of Turing emulable computations, in the absence of any evidence that
anything other than Turing emulability is required. But this seems somehow
a separate issue from the reductio argument itself. What am I missing?

David

If []p & <>t did not provide the quantisation ([]<>p) needed, and the main
modal quantum principles ([]p ->p, p -> []<>p), I would less sure that the
evidences are in favour of computationalism. Anyway, we should pursue the
comparison (between the physics in the head of the machine and the actual
observations and possible ways to interpret them.

Feel free to ask any question, I am aware that is is not easy, I am helped
by the Solovay theorems which provides two mathematical tools (G and G*) to
disambiguate the self-referential modes.

Bruno

David

To have a mind as sophisticated as the human, you need a long story, and a
deep story actually, in the sense of Bennet, but it has to be multilinear
(and reversible at the bottom, apparently).

Each hypostases has its own opinion on consciousness. For Bp it is mere
consistency (true but non provable), for Bp & p, it is obvious, for
example. For human bodies, it is difficult, because bodies are both
illusion an what makes the illusion able to persist, notably in the first
person plural way.

Bruno

David​