On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:23:47 PM UTC-6, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 9:49:55 AM UTC-7, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:07 AM, <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ​> ​
>>> I plead stupidity. I still don't get it.
>>>

>> ​Your plea is duly noted and entered into the court record.
>>

>>> ​> ​
>>> Why would the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence imply doom for
>>> humanity?
>>>

>> ​Ask the flying saucer people that are running around Roswell.
>>
>> ​ John K Clark​
>>

> You're a prick. AG

Alan --- in case you have not gotten a sense of things, talking about UFOs
and grey aliens is just stoner talk. Curiously I see these things as
forming the narratives for what might be emerging as the new religions. I
think comic book superheros are serving this as well. These things are
filling in the role of gods or superbeing, where traditional monotheism is
disintegrating. We seem to be seeing the emergence of  pseudoscientific
polytheistic semi-belief systems. L Ron Hubbard had sort of the right idea
along these lines. However, none of that stuff has any scientific merit.

There are a number of ways finding aliens might mean our doom. Assume in
this galaxy we find a number of ET species out there at approximately our
level of development. This would then mean no alien species has reached the
level of super-advanced, say type II or III civilization, and most or all
die out before reaching that. That would presumably include us as well.
Also if we found a type III civilization was somewhere out there taking
over this galaxy they would swat us away in a moment if we stood in their
way. If they wanted to convert the planets of this solar system in to some
energy grid to tap into the sun they could do it. After all, we don't give
a lot of concern for life that get wiped out in our developments of
resources. Remember the opening of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If we
meet Vogons, we're dead.

LC