IGUS = Information Gathering and Utilizing System.

The future course of humanity is probably guided by maximum entropy
principle. This is that systems will proceed to maximum entropy in minimal
time. This is not that controversial for closed systems. Open systems tend
to avoid this by being open to energy sources and by having a reservoir to
dump waste heat or entropy. Life is of this nature, where every species
exists in a network with other species that provide negative feed backs
which prevent them from consuming everything, taking all possible energy
and resource stocks and eventually leaving a wreck behind. However, we
humans have large brains that permit us to eliminate negative feed backs
and to increase positive feedbacks. This probably started with Homo erectus
that learned to use fire and to chip stones into tools. They took
themselves off the menu and put more living things on their menu. In doing
this we are consuming the biological energy and biomass stocks at a faster
rate than they can be replenished. The system is starting to approximate a
closed thermodynamics system.

With regards to the environment it is most likely the case we will not stop
what we are doing. We will most likely try to control and engineer our way
out of these troubles while continuing to play the same game. We are on a
maximum entropy trajectory. This most likely means that within a
comparatively short time we will consume everything and convert it all into
trash or should we say entropy. This is in effect what is reflected in our
economy. The rate that we double the rate of deforestation is about 75
years. It is also estimated that there are 3 trillion trees, but that
before humans there were 6 trillion. It is not hard to see that at this
rate we will trash out all forests by the end of this century. I would
image at and beyond this time the planet will be completely trashed; as the
Grateful Dead put it, "We will leave this place an empty stone." We will
try to engineer our way through things until we reach some fundamental
limits on the level of complexity we can manage. Once we reach our failure
point there is a heart warming movie *Soylent Green* that outlines a
possible scenario. We might also throw thousands of nuclear bombs into the
picture as well.

I have great suspicions about these futurist ideas about colonizing space
or that we will become conscious entities in computers and so forth. I
think it is possible that cyber-brain interlinks will become common, but I
frankly see this as more of what advanced technology is doing now; these
are methods of escaping problems and reality than they are about solving
things. The idea of matryoshka machines as planet sized or Dyson sphere
powered hypercomputers and other things I tend to regard as pure science
fiction. The same holds for Kardashev ideas about extremely advanced IGUS
or civilizations. I would also say that a part of this suspicion is that
through my lifetime there have been these problems mounting in the world,
and from my estimation we really have not solved a damned thing. From the
problems of environment to drug addiction the most we do is to mitigate
things, but in general these problems persist. In addition as time goes on
additional big problems emerge that again we will at best ameliorate and
manage, but not really solve. Global warming is probably just the beginning
of a host of more global environmental problems that face us with the
prospect of rendering this planet incapable of supporting us 7.5 billion
ground apes rampaging out of control.

Complexity is related to entropy. Kolmogoroff entropy is the summation S =
-sum p_i log(p_i) and this complexity. A simple example is N states with
p_i = 1/N. It is not hard to calculate that the entropy is S = log(N). The
Earth is 6x10^{24}kg and the sun 2x10^{30}kg. So by certain measure the sun
is actually more complex. How one partitions things into macrostates is
actually a rather subjective choice of ordering.

LC