> On 7 Feb 2018, at 15:40, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 6:52:27 AM UTC-6, telmo_menezes wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 11:43 PM, Lawrence Crowell
> <goldenfield...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > It is interesting in some ways. However, it involves speculations on things
> > we have no knowledge of.
> >
> > The idea involves these filters. The one "behind us" involves the barrier
> > intelligent life similar to us. There are few examples of brainy animals
> > similar to us. Cetaceans have large brains and clearly their songs contain
> > complex information important to them. It is not clear that this is
> > equivalent to complex thought such as mathematics. The other filter
> > involves
> > post-ET development where such life is limited by either self-extermination
> > or the limits of light speed and the unapproachable scale of putative
> > interstellar flight.
> >
> > I suspect planets with complex life above that of prokaryotic-like life are
> > few in number per galaxy. It is hard to know how even prokaryotic-like life
> > starts. The ribosome is a complex of RNA with polypeptides, and this thing
> > is fairly universal. As yet we are not sure how this came about. So it
> > could
> > be that the life bearing planets are already extremely rare. This would
> > make
> > planets with complex life most likely very rare, and then up the ladder the
> > occurrence of intelligent life exceedingly rare.
> >
> > The occurrence of life might be a case of what is called hard emergence.
> > Soft emergence is something like the emergence of chemistry from the
> > quantum
> > mechanics of atoms. Strong emergence is the occurrence of entirely
> > different
> > principles, where this is not an established scientific concept. This is of
> > course a completely unknown territory. How life emerged is one of the great
> > scientific questions.
>
> Are you sure this hard/soft distinction is meaningful? Life is what
> happens when imperfect self-replicators enter the stage. It is true
> that this appears to be a very unlikely event, and that how it
> happened is an open scientific question, but what do you mean by
> "different principles"?
>
> Telmo.
>
> Hard emergence is where a set of principles spontaneously occur without any
> formal or causal connection with other principles.

I think that this is called a “miracle”.

Even if that exists,we cannot use this in science, and will say: we just don’t
understand yet.

> We are familiar with the absorption of Goldstone bosons by gauge bosons that
> give them a longitudinal mode and hence a mass. This would be a case of soft
> emergence. Of course the boundary between hard and soft emergence is hard to
> know. The ribosome is a pretty invariant structure in biology, and it is
> horribly complex. This in some embarrassing way sounds similar to the
> irreducible complexity argument of the creationist camp. As a result there
> may be a sort of intellectual impasse here, and potentially some clearer
> understanding of what is meant by hard emergence might play a role.

“Hard emergence” is the strong-atheists rendering of “miracle”. I don’t think
this notion makes any sense. You might try to give at least one example of hard
emergence, because, to be honest, I can’t give any sense to such an expression.

Bruno