On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 2:35:51 AM UTC-6, telmo_menezes wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Lawrence Crowell
> <goldenfield...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > Hard emergence is either something really miraculous and thus not really
> in
> > the domain of physics, or it is something we might call a miracle
> because we
> > really do not understand it.
>
> For me, emergence refers to the arisal of new properties or behaviors
> when many small entities are somehow connected. Informally, I like the
> statement: "more is different". Emergence is never mysterious,
> although it might be complex. For example: the global financial market
> emerges from the individual transactions of billions of human beings
> and organizations, the ant farm emerges from the individual activities
> of ants, etc. There is no magic step, although the precise connection
> between scales of observation might be obscured by complexity.
>
> This is the entire point. Emergence is epistemic: it's about us, human
> beings, with our limited cognitive abilities, being able to make sense
> of highly complex things. Other entities living in other spacial and
> temporal scales would observe different emergent structures.
>
> What you call "hard emergence" I would just call mystery.
>
> Telmo.

It is either mystery or ignorance. The reduction of quantum states in
decoherence or measurement is almost a form of what might be called hard
emergence. It is not a subject we know well. I suspect in the case of
quantum mechanics this has to do with quantum states that encode quantum
bits or states about quantum states, where quantum states are really
quantum bits. This is an area not well studied, and in fact in the physics
community there is considerable resistance to this idea. The emergence of
life might be similar.

LC