On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Lawrence Crowell <
goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com> wrote:

*​> ​We are faced with a number of prospects. The first is there is some
> limit to complexity that any intelligent being can manage.*

The smarter something is the more complexity it can handle
​
,
​
so If
​a​
 Jupiter Brain was approaching
​
such a limit
​
that would give it motivation to add to its brain hardware.
​
And besides,
​
a Dyson Sphere would be big but not particularly complex, it would be less
complex than a modern computer chip because unlike the chip a sphere is
symmetrical so one part of it is just like another
​
. Once you figure out how to makes one square meter of
​
a Dyson Sphere
​
you just keep doing the same thing over and over till its done.
​

But if its so simple why haven't we already built one? Because
we don't have 6.02*10^23 arms so we can keep doing the same thing
​over and over ​
and be done before the sun burns out
​;​
but with self reproducing nano
​-​
machines we can have as many arms as we want.

> *​> ​The second is that intelligent life is extremely rare or maybe we are
> the only ones. *

​The evidence is ​we are the only one, or at least that nobody has ever
gotten much further than we have right now.

> *​> ​This seems to go against some general Copernican principle.*

​The ​
Copernican principle
​ is not a law of physics and in fact its clearly not true. We don't live
at a typical time, life has existed for almost 4 billion years but
intelligent life for less than a million and technology only a thousand or
so and life first left the earth only a few decades ago. We don't live in a
typical place either, a typical place only has one hydrogen atom per cubic
meter. ​We are lucky enough to live at an extraordinary time in a
extraordinary
​place.​

*​> ​The third is the biology itself is some sort of spectacular fluke,
> maybe as a hard emergent process, that Earth is the only biologically
> active planet in the entire universe.*

​That could be. The fourth possibility is civilizations always destroy
themselves or stagnate and individuals have no interest in doing anything
except spending eternity in a electronic crack house.   ​

​John K Clark​