With biology the genes that express polypeptides do in a sense control
things. Biology is not so much about control as it is about commensurate
networks. We are in a time when aspects of the natural world are often
compared to technology. For instance with Seth Lloyd we have the idea the
universe is a computer. The universe has computational aspects to it, but
it is not really a computer. If the universe is a computer then what is it
computing? I think the same hold for biology, where we like to make
comparisons between biological and molecular biological systems with
nanotechnology, but there are departures.

Biological systems evolve to survive within some set of resources and
environmental challenges. Biological organisms that fail to succeed simply
die, though there are always some lineages that manage to continue and the
game of evolution goes on. This is not the same as say biological systems
are "designed" as such. There is a bit of a popular controversy over this.
IGUS or ETI pushing into space by building ever more complex
hyper-structures are more in the say of controlling systems. If von Neumann
probes do migrate into space and throughout a galaxy they probably do so in
a pretty conservative fashion. In fact over time they would evolve instead
of performing in a designed manner.

LC