On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 3:54:32 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:36 AM, <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> ​> ​
>>
>> https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/12/satellites-show-sea-level-rise-is-accelerating/
>>
>> <https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/12/satellites-show-sea-level-rise-is-accelerating/>
>>
>> Compare with John Clark's claim of rise of one inch per decade. AG
>>

> OK
> ​
> lets compare, it says what we now for sure is that has been "3 inches of
> sea level rise in the past quarter century". They made a guess that it
> would accelerate so sea level would be "2 feet higher by the end of the
> century", well maybe so, but that would still make for a pretty dull
> disaster movie. Sure
> ​it​
>  might cause difficulties but on a list of world problems it wouldn't even
> make the top ten
> ​.​
> I mean its not as if this sort of thing was unprecedented, the sea has
> risen 400 *FEET* since the peak of the last ice age 20,000 years ago
> ​
> and during that time the human race not only survived it thrived.
>
>   ​John K Clark​

It is not the same disaster as some sci-fi films have portrayed. However,
it would mean cities such as New York would need sea walls much like
Holland. Many major cities on the coast, with the exception of Los Angeles,
would require extensive sea walls much as seen with Holland. Remember that
while a few feet does not sound like much, given that coasts have small
slopes, say only a few degrees, a few feet of sea level rise can mean
hundreds or thousands of feet the ocean encroaches. Pleistocene humans did
not have sea ports.

LC