From: agrayson2000 <agrayson2...@gmail.com>
To: Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 15, 2018 3:55 pm
Subject: Re: Why Alien Life Would be our Doom - The Great Filter

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 12:16:52 PM UTC-7, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 9:48:54 AM UTC-7, John Clark wrote:

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 3:07 PM,  <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
Mother Nature did come up with a wheel; a rotating tail on some specie. I
forget its name. AG

The words
​ ​
that have slipped your mind are
​ ​
"flagellum
​ ​
on
​ ​
bacteria"
​ ​
and its microscopic, that's why I said "macroscopic". It's easy to make a part
that moves in 360 degrees if its microscopic because nutriments can just
diffuse in and waste products diffuse out; but as parts get bigger the volume
increases by the cube of the radius but the surface area only increases by the
square, so when things get big diffusion just isn't good enough. Evolution
never figured out how to do better and make a wheel large enough to see,

If Nature has no intention, the idea of it figuring out anything is
misconceived. AG

Can't owls almost rotate their heads almost 360 deg; maybe not a full rotation,
but damn close? YOU can't rotate your head to that extent because you can
survive short of that capacity. That's all the Nature "cares" about. AG

but people did.

John K Clark