On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 10:48:54 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 3:07 PM, <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> *​> ​Mother Nature did come up with a wheel; a rotating tail on some
>> specie. I forget its name. AG*
>>

> The words
> ​ ​
> that have slipped your mind are
> ​ ​
> "flagellum
> ​ ​
> on
> ​ ​
> bacteria"
> ​ ​
> and its microscopic, that's why I said "macroscopic". It's easy to make a
> part that moves in 360 degrees if its microscopic because nutriments can
> just diffuse in and waste products diffuse out; but as parts get bigger the
> volume increases by the cube of the radius but the surface area only
> increases by the square, so when things get big diffusion just isn't good
> enough. Evolution never figured out how to do better and make a wheel large
> enough to see, but people did.
>
> John K Clark

There are bacterial flagella and Eukaryotic flagella. Bacteria flagellum is
a single polypeptide chain. It is connected to a protein that protons are
pumped into. This induces the rotational motion. This protein is related to
components of ribosomes. Eukaryotes have a more complicated flagellum that
is a braid of tubulin fibers. It is attached to a similar proton pump motor.

On a macroscopic level the wheel requires a road. On rocky, sandy or
otherwise uncooperative terrain the wheel does not work.

LC