On 2/19/2018 7:11 PM, John Clark wrote:
​ ​
Keith Douglas Farnsworth. Can a Robot Have Free Will? Entropy 19, no. 5 (2017): 237.

http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/19/5/237 <http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/19/5/237>

    /
    ​> ​
    a precise, scientifically inspired, definition of free-will is
    offered and the essential requirements for an agent to possess it
    in principle are set out. These are: (a) there must be a self to
    self-determine; /

/
/
​A ​
cuckoo clock
​ is self determined, its internal clockwork determines what it will do.   ​

    (b) there must be a non-zero probability of more than one option
    being enacted;

​There is more than one state a ​
roulette wheel
​ or a radioactive atom could end up in.​

    /
    ​> ​
     there must be an internal means of choosing among options (which
    is not merely random, /

You can't have it both ways, either the choice was determined by cause and effect and it
​'s​
a cuckoo clock
​
or it was not and therefore
​is ​
a random roulette wheel
​.​

​So tell me what the hell "free will" is supposed to mean and I'll tell you if robots can have free will or not.

It means a decision process leading to action which is not predictable and is difficult to influence by external motivations, so that it shows consistency of purpose and intelligence in achieving it.

Brent
P.S. robots can have it.