On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 6:38:15 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> > On 21 Feb 2018, at 20:40, Brent Meeker <meek...@verizon.net
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> >

> > On 2/21/2018 1:32 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >> I guess you mean enumerable here. I don’t see what physical bounds have
> to do with Church-Turing thesis, though. We laws suppose that the universal
> machine have potentially unbounded time and space (in the non physical
> computer science sense) available for them.
> >
> > But they are bounded in the physical sense, and not just potentially.
>
> But Church-Turing thesis has nothing to do with physics or the physical
> sense.
>
> Then you don’t know if a machine, even in the physical world is bounded,
> unless you make special assumption on some existing universe.
>
> With mechanism, there are no evidence for a physical primary universe. We
> would have found one if we would have discover a serious discrepancy
> between the Nature’s physics and the physics in the “head of the number”,
> but we have tested this as far as possible, and found none.

The relationship between the physical world and mathematics of computation
is something I explore here
<https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/305346/is-there-something-similar-to-g%C3%B6dels-incompleteness-theorems-in-physics/305368#305368>.

This is in connection with the theoretical concept of hypercomputation.
Certain types of spacetimes called MH (Malament-Hogarth spacetimes) have
the physical properties that might do an end run around the limits of
Godel. On the other hand quantum mechanics might provide limits on that.

LC