On 2/23/2018 8:46 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I have developed a fuzzy version of prolog, actually based on Philippe Smets (the main creator of IRIDIA)  “transfer belief model”, to help in some search in giant protein databanks (when I was working for Monsanto (!)). With a friend we have taken some years to compile it in ADA. He told me that a subroutine we created has actually been implemented in all chips (a sort of hash-table data retrieving procedure! I am not sure if this can have value in AI, or perhaps I do think a fuzzy prolog can have value, but I am not sure if this is exploited today. At that time, I heard about a Japanese firm which built a fuzzy chip for logic programming for a “clever” cleaning machine. I believe more in neural nets, especially if it is cycling, and with ¨many¨hidden layers. You can be sure that when such machine will think, we will not understand how they do it,

And neither will the machine.

and such machine will be beyond theoretical analysis. With computers, either we massacre the semantics, and they will be efficacious, but often wrong and a bit stupid in the human way, or we will built docile slaves. It is about the same with the education of kids. We will forever remains in-between security and liberty ...

Yes, having raised four kids and now advising (to no effect) how to raise grandkids and great-grandkids I sometimes reflect on how the No Free Lunch theorem may apply to education.