On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 1:27 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 3/5/2018 11:49 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:37 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> On 3/5/2018 9:14 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> "Could" implies a question about possibilities.  It's certainly logically
> possible that there not be such a disease as leukemia.  Is it nomologically
> possible?...not as far as we know.
>
> Well I'm not sure it's logically possible, for the reasons that Bruno
> already addressed.
>

> Bruno is assuming that everything not contrary to his theory exists
> axiomatically...which is assuming the answer.
>
> That is a rather uncharitable way of putting it.
>
> Bruno has discussed his Universal Dovetailer Argument extensively. If
> you assume comp and accept the argument, then we are inside of the
> dovetailer. The dovetailer is an everything-generator.
>

> That's exactly the problem with everythingism.  It predicts all the stuff we
> don't see.

Bruno, Russell, Tegmark and others tend to concern themselves a lot
with why our experience of reality looks like it does on the face of
everythingism. That is precisely the "hard part", no?

> Russell
> proposes something similar in his book. Isn't the exploration of this
> type of idea the original reason for this mailing list? That doesn't
> mean that the idea is right, of course, but it does mean that one
> should expect to not keep going around in circles without ever
> reaching a more sophisticated level of engagement with such theories.
>

> I'd be happy to engage a more sophisticated level.  I've suggested several
> times points on which Bruno's theory might have something to say about
> physics or cognition:  For example there is the discussion of whether QM is
> epistemic (quantum bayesianism) or ontic (wave-function realism).  There are
> experiments that seem to show it's ontic, but only under the assumption that
> experimenters agree on it...which seems to be an epistemic condition.  Or
> how about the past hypothesis; does the UD necessarily imply a universe that
> in low entropy in the past...or is that just the definition of "past", in
> which case one asks why does the AoT have a consistent direction.  And what
> is the relation of the brain to the computational processes producing
> consciousness?  Why the delay in the Gray Walter experiment?  Is there
> really some number of neurons between platyhelmenthies and homo sapiens that
> maximizes consciousness?

Ok, me too. I feel that lack of moderation on the list makes it
difficult -- although I am not advocating it.
It's hard to talk over certain megaphones, and I think many give up.

> But why would you suppose that a world in which "Leukemia doesn't exist."
> would allow you derive a logical contradiction?
>
> I think such a world would require one to accept something like
> creationism as logically consistent. The process of biological
> complexification happens by natural selection. Natural selection, by
> definition, implies failure modes. It also leads to endless
> competitive and exploitative dynamics such as predators, pathogens,
> parasites, etc. Avoiding all of these tragedies from the perspective
> of human beings would require a designer holding human interests at
> heart above everything else. Both the pre-existence of such a designer
> and its motivation to helps us above everything else seem nonsensical
> to me.
>

> First, you are appealing to biology and physics, not logic.

I am appealing to logic, because I am claiming that we must discard
scenarios where the arrow of complexity is reversed. That is to say: a
complex phenomena entailing an even more complex entity than what is
being explained.

> I already said
> that nomologically, leukemia was probably necessary.  It's just a possible
> mutation in bone marrow cells. But there's no logical contradiction in that
> mutation not occuring.

No, but there is a logic contradiction in no mutations ever occurring,
unless you can provide an alternative theory to natural selection that
does not revert the arrow of complexity.

> Second, you're straw manning.  I didn' t say
> anything about "failure modes" not existing.  I said that one particular
> failure mode could fail to exist.  In fact I'd say the world would be better
> if even that one little girl had not died in pain.  Let's see you prove that
> implies a logical contradiction.

I would say that it really depends on weather QM is epistemic or
ontic, as you say above. Or: everythingism allows for an entity that
fits Anselm's argument.

Telmo.