Since this thread is reaching 100 posts where it is hard to keep track of
and this topic is low on my interest list I will simply leave the
following. Somebody pondered that a UFO/ET site called GaiaPC is just
wishful thinking. I responded with:

It has a component of magical thinking. Christianity has Jesus turning
water into wine, and a fairy tale has a fairy godmother turning mice into
horses and a pumpkin into a royal coach. Same idea really. Christianity has
Jesus returning in the future, and for 19 centuries this has been "soon,"
and He will sweep all the problems away. This UFO stuff claims these ETs
have ultimate technology, magic really, that will transform our world. In
both cases the forces of darkness are preventing this great day of
revelation. Similar idea, though with alien spacecraft I suppose there is
some very tiny probability that aliens or their robotic emissaries could
actually travel here. Religion by way of contrast is pure magic.

The mythic narratives of our time are shifting away from the monotheist
constructs that have held sway for 15-16 centuries or so. This is
manifesting itself in a number of forms from superheros to Pokeman-esque
ideas to UFO/ET/ancient astronauts quasi-archaeology/astronomy and other
ideas. It is almost as if we are adopting a sort of neo-Orphic set of
mythic narratives. Traditional religion, in particular Christianity and
Islam, are in a sort of crisis as both are scrambling to try to reassert
themselves in a world that increasingly dismisses them. The furious rise of
the Christian right in the United States, that is supported by a
diminishing percentage of the public, and the Islamic jihad tendencies in
that part of the world clearly reflect two long lived and successful memes
now struggling to stay relevant.

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit