On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 2:39:35 PM UTC, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

> On Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 12:25:02 AM UTC-5, agrays...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>>
>>  Does a macro object, say a billiard ball, have a definite wave function?
>> That is, does it have one in principle, even if it can't be written down?
>> If one can speak of the wf of the universe, one would think individual
>> macro objects would also have wf's. TIA, AG
>>

> A large object is made of particles that have quantum wave functions.
> Largely these cancel each other in a grand interference. This enhances the
> appearance of classical or macroscopic behavior. If you can prepare the
> wave functions of all the atoms in a large system so they have the same
> form this can lead to quantization on the large. This happens with
> Bose-Einstein condensates and similar quantum phase states --- here phase
> meaning a thermodynamics type of phase, but one determined by quantum
> fluctuations.
>
> LC

When we have a macro object, say a ball consisting of same element
throughout, and we want to construct its wf, what type or form of wf we
must use? For example, for the H atom, we can treat the system quantum
mechanically and find the energy levels, and/or consider the H atom as a
free particle and find the wf giving the probability of its position, but
what form of a wf would we use for a macro object that gets entangled with
its environment? TIA, AG