> On 28 Mar 2018, at 17:37, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 2:40 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> ​>> ​So mind is what the brain does.
>
> ​> ​Mind is what universal machine or number does. The physical brain is
> among that.
>
> ​Numbers can't count, but I can count numbers.

In that sense, numbers can count given that all partial computable functions
are representable in Robinson Arithmetic (which leads easily to that
conclusion). Or you mean that you have some magical soul which can count, but
then you are out of the Digital Indexical Mechanist thesis.

> Rocks can't count but I can count rocks because the matter and energy in my
> brain is arranged in such a way that it enables me to do so

It means the brain can emulate a Universal Number (by which I mean a number u
such that u compute f_i(x) when given I and x.

> but they are not arranged that way in a rock.

I agree with this. A rock cannot be said to think, because a rock does not
implement a universal numbers. Of course, there is quantum and
digital-mechanist sense in which a rock, or even a vacuum can “think” as an
emerging pattern of infinitely many computations, but that is not the usual
meaning of computation.
Strictly speaking, a rock cannot think, because it is only an object of
thinking emerging from all computations. In arithmetic or any chosen
computational base. (Base in the sense of computer science, not in the sense of
quantum physics, to be sure).

> The arrangement of matter and energy can be characterized as information and
> that is why information is as close as you can get to the traditional concept
> of the soul and still remain within the scientific method.

Information, numbers, codes, combinators, finite expression, whatever the name
is used, it makes sense only in some part of theoretical computer science.

Bruno