On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 3:37:15 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> An interesting proof by Hamkins and a lot of discussion of its
> significance on John Baez's blog.  It agrees with my intuition that the
> mathematical idea of "finite" is not so obvious.
>
> Brent

This gets into the rarefied atmosphere of degrees of unprovability. I have
a book by Lerman on the subject, which I can read maybe 25 pages into
before I am largely confused and lost. I would really need to be far better
grounded in this. The idea is that one may ask if things are diagonal up
to ω ordinarlity, which is standard Gödel/Turing machine stuff. Then we
might however have Halting or provability out to ω + n, or 2ω to nω and
then how about ω^n and then n^ω and now make is bigger with ω^ω and so
forth. Then this in principle may continue onwards beyond the alephs into
least accessible cardinals and so forth. One has this vast and maybe
endless tower of greater transfinite models.

Finite systems that are well defined are cyclic groups and related
structures. A mathematical system that has some artificial bound on it is
not going to satisfy any universal requirements. The most one can have is
finite but unbounded. So long as one does not have some series or
progression that grows endlessly this can work.

LC