> On 15 May 2018, at 21:52, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 10:52:51 AM UTC-5, telmo_menezes wrote:
> https://edwardfeser.blogspot.fr/2018/05/godel-and-unreality-of-time.html
> <https://edwardfeser.blogspot.fr/2018/05/godel-and-unreality-of-time.html>
>
>  The Gödel universe is a net rotating universe. The whole spacetime is
> rotating, which means the Kerr effect dominates over standard gravitation.
> This results in closed timelike curves. This spacetime violates the averaged
> weak energy condition (AWC) T^{00} ≥ 0 of Hawking and Penrose, which means
> quantum fields are not bounded below. The anti-de Sitter (AdS) spacetime
> violates the averaged weak energy condition as well. However, its conformal
> structure is such that on a local causal patch closed timelike curves are
> removed.
>
> The Gödel universe most likely does not exist, or at least we are not in that
> spacetime. Since it violates the AWC quantum particles can emerge from the
> vacuum. With the AdS spacetime causal wedges can generate entire cosmologies.
> I am not sure if the Gödel universe can do this. Generally this is regarded
> as a pathological spacetime, one that is maybe removed by a superselection of
> states in quantum gravitation.
>
> I am not sure this means time does not exist. It would mean in a way that
> time has no global properties, but locally it would still have meaning. On a
> frame with a short enough duration there is not time looping it seems
> plausible that time can be defined

The point of Gödel is that some solution of Einstein GR theory can admit
circular time. Gödel was skeptical about time, but also on the whole of
naturalism. Eventually Einstein understood why we can choose mathematics when
interested in fundamental question.

Gödel is the one who showed that the computation are realised in arithmetic,
and makes the point clearly in a footnote, but he missed the Church-Turing
thesis, and mechanism. Well Gödel did 99,9%. But Post, Turing and Church got
the universal “thing”.

Gödel does not seem to have been really interested in cosmology, but he did
have some interest in theology, as explained in the books by Hao Wang. Yet,
neither its “Gödel ‘sRotating Universe”, nor his proof of the existence of
(St-Anselmus’) god, were taken seriously by him. It was just models (solutions)
of theories/equations to illustrate philosophical/metaphysical points: notably
here the disparition of time, and the fact that theology can be done rigorously.

An interesting book on Gödel and Einstein on Time  is “A World Without Time,
the ForgottenLegacy of Gödel and Einstein”, by Palle Yourgrau (Allan
Lane-Penguin 2005, London). Apparently Einstein was forbidden to even think
about quantum mechanics !). And Einstein seems to have forbid to itself to
search for a relation between incompleteness and the quantum, but with
mechanism this comes as a gift on the plate of the relative self-reference.

Bruno