On 8/1/2018 4:07 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 1 Aug 2018, at 02:11, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 7/31/2018 2:43 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 7:14:53 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

    On 7/31/2018 6:43 AM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:

        On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 6:11:18 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

            On 7/30/2018 9:21 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 1:34:58 AM UTC, Brent
                wrote:

                    On 7/30/2018 4:40 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                        On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 7:50:47 PM UTC,
                        Brent wrote:

                            On 7/30/2018 8:02 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

                                    *and claims the system being
                                    measured is physically in all
                                    eigenstates simultaneously
                                    before measurement.*

                                Nobody claims that this is true. But
                                most of us would I think agree that
                                this is what happens if you describe
                                the couple “observer particle” by
                                QM, i.e by the quantum wave. It is a
                                consequence of elementary quantum
                                mechanics (unless of course you add
                                the unintelligible collapse of the
                                wave, which for me just means that
                                QM is false).

                            This talk of "being in eigenstates" is
                            confused. An eigenstate is relative to
                            some operator.  The system can be in an
                            eigenstate of an operator.  Ideal
                            measurements are projection operators
                            that leave the system in an eigenstate
                            of that operator.  But ideal
                            measurements are rare in QM.  All the
                            measurements you're discussing in
                            Young's slit examples are destructive
                            measurements. You can consider, as a
                            mathematical convenience, using a
                            complete set of commuting operators to
                            define a set of eigenstates that will
                            provide a basis...but remember that it's
                            just mathematics, a certain choice of
                            basis. The system is always in just one
                            state and the mathematics says there is
                            some operator for which that is the
                            eigenstate.  But in general we don't
                            know what that operator is and we have
                            no way of physically implementing it.

                            Brent

                        *I can only speak for myself, but when I
                        write that a system in a superposition of
                        states is in all component states
                        simultaneously, I am assuming the existence
                        of an operator with eigenstates that form a
                        complete set and basis, that the wf is
                        written as a sum using this basis, and that
                        this representation corresponds to the state
                        of the system before measurement. *

                    In general you need a set of operators to have
                    the eigenstates form a complete basis...but OK.

                        *I am also assuming that the interpretation
                        of a quantum superposition is that before
                        measurement, the system is in all
                        eigenstates simultaneously, one of which
                        represents the system after measurement. I
                        do allow for situations where we write a
                        superposition as a sum of eigenstates even
                        if we don't know what the operator is, such
                        as the Up + Dn state of a spin particle. In
                        the case of the cat, using the hypothesis of
                        superposition I argue against, we have two
                        eigenstates, which if "occupied" by the
                        system simultaneously, implies the cat is
                        alive and dead simultaneously. AG *

                    Yes, you can write down the math for that.  But
                    to realize that physically would require that
                    the cat be perfectly isolated and not even
                    radiate IR photons (c.f. C60 Bucky ball
                    experiment).  So it is in fact impossible to
                    realize (which is why Schroedinger considered if
                    absurd).

                *
                CMIIAW, but as I have argued, in decoherence theory
                it is assumed the cat is initially isolated and
                decoheres in a fraction of a nano second. So, IMO,
                the problem with the interpretation of superposition
                remains. *

            Why is that problematic?  You must realize that the cat
            dying takes at least several seconds, very long compared
            to decoherence times.  So the cat is always in a
            /*classical*/ state between |alive> and |dead>. These
            are never in superposition.

        *

        When you start your analysis /experiment using decoherence
        theory, don't you assume the cat is isolated from the
        environment? It must be if you say it later decoheres (even
        if later is only a nano second). Why is this not a problem
        if, as you say, it is impossible to isolate the cat? AG *

    That it is impossible to isolate the cat is the source of the
    absurdity...not that it exists in a superposition later.

*But if you claim the cat decoheres in some exceedingly short time based on decoherence theory and the wf you write, taking into account the apparatus, observer, and remaining environment, mustn't the cat be initially isolated for this to make sense? AG*

It never made sense.  That it didn't make sense was Schroedinger's point, he just didn't correctly identify where it first failed to make sense, i.e. in the idea that a cat could be isolated.  Since the cat can't be isolated then } |alive> and |dead> can only appear in a mixture, not in a coherent superposition.

But a mixture is only a relative notion. It is the superposition as seen from inside each superposition. In the universal wave, no mixture ever appear (with Everett theory).

And it doesn't bother you at all that our observations are all of mixtures and never of superpositions; because you are submerged in platonic mysticism.