Hi Jason, Brent, others,

In this post, I sum up what we have seen so far, and provide the solutions to
the (suggested) exercise. Skip the solutions if you still want to find by
yourself.

The motivation is to better appreciate what is a computation, and why, when we
assume Mechanism, the two axioms Kxy = x and Sxyz = xz(yz) are enough, and
cannot be completed with other axioms, unless we describe observer (and not
“reality”).

------------

A combinator is a combination of S and K, i. e. S is a combinator, K is a
combinator, and from two combinators x y you can build the combinator (x y).

>From this you can enumerate already easily all combinators. K, S, (K K), (K
>S), (S K), (S S), ((K K) K), (K (K K)), …

Now, we use a convention to help the readability: we suppress the left most
parentheses (and their right corresponding parenthesis).

So

abc(def)ghu

can be be read as the combinator abc(def)gh applied to u. But abc(def)gh can be
seen itself as the combinator abc(def)g applied to h, and then abc(def)g can be
seen as abc(def) applied to g. Then abc(def) is abc applied to (def).  abc is
ab applied to c: ((a b) c), and def is de applied to c.

You can also read from the left: in abc(def)ghu, it means a is applied to b: (a
b) and that is applied to c: ((ab)c) which is applied on (def), which is
((de)f), and the result of that is applied to g, and the result is applied to
h, and the result is applied to u.

With those conventions, the only two axioms, or laws, (besides some equality
rules) are that, with x and y being any combinators.

Kxy = x

Sxyz = xz(yz)

It means that the combinators K, when he get two arguments x y, it becomes
instable and reacts and gives x as a result.

S “reacts” only when he got his three arguments (in the “Curry” way: Sxyz is
really (((Sx)y)z), and that gives xz(yz): S applies x on z, and that is applied
on the result of applying y  on z.

The expression Kxy and Sxyz are called redex, and a combinators is instable as
long as it contains redexes. When it does no more contain a redex, we say that
a combinator is in normal form (I use often “stable” also).

The computation are not deterministic. If a combinator contains two different
regexes, you can reduce them in any order. It can be proved that if the
combinator has a normal form, then all converging path will give the same
result (but we will see this is untrue if some path are infinite).

dynamic provided by the two laws above.

The only difficulty is due to the explosion of parentheses, which is limited by
our convention of not writing the left parentheses when there is no ambiguity.
That can lead to a new difficulty, due to forgetting that those parenthesis are
still there.  For example, let us compute:

KSxyz

x and y and z are just any combinators. Someone could wrongly claim that it
contains the redex Sxyz, and that it might reduces to Kxz(yz), and then x. But
that is incorrect. It would be correct if it was K(Sxyz). KSxyz gives (KSx)yz =
Syz, not x.

If you substitute the combinator ab for c in cxyz, you can write abxyz. But if
you substitute ab for x, that gives c(ab)yz. In that case the parentheses are
obligatory, as a(bc) is different from abc = (ab)c.

OK. Please ask question if anything seems unclear.

Let us see the combinators that we have already met.

Is there an identity combinator, i.e. a I such that Ix = x ?  Yes I = SKK.
Indeed SKKx = Kx(Kx) = x. So SKK is the identity bird. Note that SKA is an
identity bird for any combinator A. Exemple SK(KK)x = Kx(KKx) = x.

Is there a combinator M such that Mx = xx ? Yes. Mx = xx = Ix(Ix) = SIIx, so M
= SII. Verification Mx = SIIx = Ix(Ix) = xx.

Is there a combinator f such that fxy = y ? Yes. f = KI. Verification fxy =
KIxy = (KIx)y = Iy = y. So KI is the projection on the second coordinate. Why
do I use the matter f for its name? Because later KI will play the role of the
constant propositional false. We will come back on this. Similarly K will play
the role of the truth constant t.

Is there a combinator B such that Bxyz = x(yz) ? Yes. Bxyz = x(yz) = (Kxz)(yz)
= ((Kx)z)yz)  (I added left parenthesis to help seeing the matching with the
second S redex) = S(Kx)yz = ((KS)x(Kx))yz = KSx(Kx)yz = S(KS)Kxyz, so B =
S(KS)K. Verification: S(KS)Kxyz = KSx(Kx)yz = S(Kx)yz = Kxz(yz) = x(yz).

OK?

I suggested some “exercises”.

1) Is there a W such that Wxy = xyy ?
2) Is there a T such that Txy = yx ?
3) is there a L such that Lxy = x(yy) ?
4) is there a C such that Cxyz = xzy ?

The method consist is trying to introduce K and S, or other combinators already
defined, to match the right hand part of the regexes, and go backward.

Solutions:    (you can skip this if you want take more time to find them.
Later, in "combinator 2”, I will give an algorithm to solve those problem.

1) Wxy = xyy = (xy)(Iy) = SxIy = Sx(KIx)y = SS(KI)xy, so W = SS(KI).
Verification: SS(KI)xy = Sx(KIx)y = xy(KIx)y = xy(Iy) = xyy

2) Txy = yx = y(Kxy) = Iy(Kxy) = Iy((Kx)y) = SI(Kx)y = B(SI)Kxy, so T = B(SI)K.
 (B is handy to suppress the right parentheses). Verification: B(SI)Kxy =
SI(Kx)y
    = Iy(Kxy) = yx

3) Lxy = x(yy) = x(My) = BxMy = Bx(KMx)y = SB(KM)xy, so L = SB(KM).
Vérification: Lxy = SB(KM)xy = Bx(KMx)y = x(KMxy) = x(My) = x(yy).

4) Cxyz = xzy

This one is a bit harder. xzy = xz(Kyz) = Sx(Ky)z = B(Sx)Kyz = BBSxKyz =
BBSx(KKx)yz = S(BBS)(KK)xyz, so C = S(BBS)(KK).

Vérification:   S(BBS)(KK)xyz = BBSx(KKx)yz = B(Sx)(KKx)yz = B(Sx)Kyz = Sx(Ky)z
= xz(Kyz) = xzy.

OK? Take the time to understand well the verification. Ask any question if you
have some doubt at some steps.

before.

Bruno