On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 7:53:52 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

> To measure small things you need comparably short wavelengths.  If you
> make a photon with a wavelength so short it can measure the Planck
> length it will have so much mass-energy that it will fold spacetime
> around it and become a black hole...so you won't be able to use it to
> measure anything.
>
> Brent

TY. That's clear enough. But there's a related question I was unable to
explain to a friend recently. Suppose we have a small spherical cork
floating on a lake, and we introduce a wave disturbance. If the wave length
is much larger than the diameter of the sphere, it will just bob up and
down as the wave passes. But if the wave length is comparable to the
diameter, the wave will be partially reflected. What is a good *physical*
argument for the existence of the reflected wave, tantamount to a detection
of the cork? I am at loss to offer a physical explanation. TIA, AG