> On 11 Jan 2019, at 11:02, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> If probability values are always positive and between 0 and 1, how does one
> get destructive interference, or constructive interfering probability values
> within the acceptable range? Brent once answered this question but I have
> completely forgotten the answer. AG

The “whole problem of QM” is there. The coefficients of the terms in the
superposition are the “amplitude of probability”, and they can be negative. The
probability is given by the square of the amplitude of probability. As long as
we don’t make any observation, the wave acts like a wave, and the amplitudes
can be added or subtracted. To get the probability for the measurement result
on phi, we take the square of the amplitude (in the base corresponding to what
we want to measure).

With Everett (non collapse), measurement is only self-entanglement. Normally
the Born rule should be justified from this, and some justification exists,
either based on frequency-operator (like Graham, Preskill, and others) or by
using Gleason theorem, etc.

Note that I do not claim that Everett formulation of QM solves all conceptual
problems of QM. But mechanism might and should. The psi wave correspond to a
description of a first person plural reality in a context of many computations,
like mechanism justifies, except that the price is the needed to get the waves
from the logic of the measure one observable (provable, true and consistent).
That makes mechanism testable, and QM confirms it, but there are many
arithmetical-physics proposition which needs to still be tested.