On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 2:16:56 AM UTC-6, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 5:20:16 PM UTC, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 5:42:12 AM UTC-6, agrays...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Since it seems conceptually impossible to model a theory with DISJOINT
>>> discrete spatial units, thus requiring the units to be juxtaposed, do such
>>> theories acknowledge difficulty of motion between the units, which might or
>>> might not have boundaries? TIA, AG
>>>

>> In quantum space or quantum spacetime approaches (like loop quantum
>> gravity, casual dynamical triangulation), space or spacetime is in really a
>> collection of 3D or 4D *cells *(tetrahedra or pentahedra) that are
>> "glued" together somehow.
>>
>> There is no "space"  in the conventional Euclidean of Riemannian
>> geometrical/metrical sense, so these cells aren't *in* space (there is
>> no space inside of them or between them). The cells collectively *are*
>> space.
>>
>> - pt
>>

> *I know. The alleged cells aren't IN space, but collectively ARE space.
> But they can't be separated. If they were, light and material bodies would
> have to traverse a Void of Nothingness to get anywhere. Motion would be
> impossible. OTOH, if they're juxtaposed yet somehow distinguishable, they
> would have to have boundaries, another big conceptual problem. I find the
> idea of discrete spatial units, either juxtaposed or not, conceptually
> unintelligible. AG*

What you just wrote (with words like "separated", "boundaries") is still
presuming a background concept of space as some (x,y,z) coordinate entity
as taught in school. (But see the Rovelli paper on the LQG "spinfoam"
picture.)

Also apropos (regarding our preconception of space), the Immanuel Kant Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC8ioZkb-Sc

- pt