> On 19 Jan 2019, at 00:14, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 8:30 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> >Nwe cannot assume, neither a physical universe, nor analysis or set theory.
> >Since recently, I have realised that we cannot even assume the induction
> >axioms,
>
> Induction says that things are usually pretty much the same from one moment
> of time to the next and from one point in space to a nearby one,

That is the case for inductive inference, but here I was alluding to the
induction axioms, which are used only in deduction.

The induction axioms on the numbers is

P(0) & [For all n (P(n) -> P(s(n)))] ->. For all n P(n).

Or, for the combinators, it is

P(K) & P(S) & [For all x y ((P(x) & P(y)) -> P(xy)) -> For all x P(x)

I do think that inductive inference has deep relation with mathematical
induction, though. But that is beyond the cope of this post.

> if Everett is right (and my hunch is he is) for some universes that would be
> true, but such  a chaotic universe would not have structures capable of
> producing thought or consciousness. Therefore  it is not only safe for us to
> assume induction we DO assume it and we could not survive in the physical
> world longer than about 45 seconds without it. At this very second although I
> have no detailed knowledge of the wiring involved and have not seen the
> blueprints I am assuming that when I hit the key marked "I" on my keyboard a
> "I" symbol will appear on my screen; I assume it will happen this time
> because that's what usually happened in the past, the only time it didn't was
> when my keyboard was defective a few years ago but that was quickly replaced.

But when used in physics, this type of inductive inference assume not only a
reality, but a “brain-mind” identity, which is not consistent with the
mechanist hypothesis.

Bruno