On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 4:37:35 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 4:31 PM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> *>>> What we call space (x,y,z) is just what we measure with a ruler.*

>>> that's why we can't do experiments without a ruler and a clock, you
>>> wouldn't know where to look for the results or when to look. Without
>>>  experiment or prediction or even postdiction you're just navel gazing
>>> not doing physics.
>>>

>> > *I don't understand space and time have well defined definitions.*
>>

> it's odd you don't understand that as you give crystal clear definitions
> yourself, space is what a ruler measures and time is what a clock measures.
> Zero ambiguity in that.
>

>> * > If (say) LQG is right, then* [....]
>>

> Then we'll never know it's right without an experiment that can confirm
> it,  and experiments can't exist without rulers and clocks.
>
>> > *then all rulers and clocks are are things made of QPSCs.*
>>

> So what? Everything is made of something else unless you're at the
> fundamental level. Space and time may not be made of anything but at least
> they're measurable, I don't see how claiming the fundamental level is mot
> made of anything and is not measurable either get's you anywhere; you could
> theorize it's made of anything you like and it would still be consistent
> with any conceivable experiment. In other words its just navel gazing.
>
> John k Clark

As for LQG's "quantum geometry" being empirical, as I posted before

*Glimpses of Space-Time Beyond the Singularities Using Supercomputers*
https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.01747

"Numerical studies using HPC reveal the existence of an effective
space-time description that sheds important light on the way continuum
space-time emerges from quantum geometry and *potentially links LQG with
astronomical observations*. In coming years, one challenge is to extend
these results to inhomogeneous space-times where the understanding of
analytical aspects in quantum gravity is yet to be completed. Given the
progress over the past couple of years, it can be expected that
supercomputers will prove to be an invaluable and essential tool for the
complete discovery of the new physics at the Planck scale, and to go beyond
the limitations of Einstein’s GR."

Why are people so wedded to the traditional spacetime.
Is the Immanuel Kant Song right? :)

- pt