On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 7:09:13 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 5:55 PM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > As for LQG's "quantum geometry" being empirical, as I posted before
>>
>> *Glimpses of Space-Time Beyond the Singularities Using Supercomputers*
>> https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.01747
>>

> I see nothing empirical in that, it's a supercomputer simulation. It's
> saying "maybe this is what's going on when things get smaller than the
> Planck length", well maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I saw no experiment or
> even a proposed  experiment that could tell us. Perhaps someday Loop
> Quantum Gravity or String Theory will be able to make a testable
> prediction but they're not there yet so until then it's mathematics not
> physics.
>
> > Why are people so wedded to the traditional spacetime.
>>

> Because they're wedded to the scientific method.  I asked before how you
> could perform an experiment without making use of space or time but
> received no answer.
>
>  John K Clark

My understanding of what the LQG Black Hole team (Abhay Ashtekar and Javier
Olmedo at Penn State and Parampreet Singh at Louisiana State University) is
up to

    *Beyond the black hole singularity*
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/12/181220111804.htm

is to show that their model matches astronomical data better than other
theories (which is sort of the way science works).

There is a lot of scientific theory that doesn't really mention space:
theories in chemistry and biology for example. These have to do with change
of structures (molecules, cells).

But time is interesting. It is possible to have a discrete space (the title
subject of this topic) but a continuous time.

- pt